V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the knowledgable ones.
Removed the tour pak on my Ultra, and installed detachable backrest. (mentioned doing this in an earlier thread). Going to put on the two up rack after saving more coin. Only problem is, after installing the CB antenna kit and trying to tune without SWR meter, unit doesn't seem to receive any decent signal. Wondered if the loading coil that was left in the tour pak is required for the unit to work effectively. If it is, what suggestions do you have on hiding the part.

Two parter: Also reading mileage figures on another thread and wondered if this seems normal enough or a little low.
Had an SE stage 1 Kit and SE slip-ons installed at delivery to negotiate best price for something I knew I'd do almost immediately anyway. So this gives me no point of reference to judge from totally stock. Mileage seems to stay in the low 30's. I know running the the mountains will not give the best mileage, but I'm riding 1 up @160 lbs.

thanks, printer

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm not a radio guy but you would think leaving a loading coil off an antenna that was designed to work with it, will change the SWR big time.
One thought that would come to mind would be to get a different antenna all together, if no one that has been there comes up with a good idea.

As far as the mileage it sounds pretty low. In the mountains riding style has a much bigger effect on mileage then on the flats where it largely depends on speed. I usually get better mileage in the mountains, but I know people that ride rather conservatively that use more fuel in the mountains then on the flats.
Hard to say, but it still sounds low, do a long run on the flat at cruising speed and see what it gets.

Don't know about knowledgeable, but sure as hell I'm opinionated. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a CB radio on my EG, but I do know that if there was a loading coil on the antenna, then you MUST use it. The transmitter can be dammaged if you transmit without the proper load. If you don't like the original antenna and coil, then you can get any CB antenna that fits your bike. There is nothing magic about the antenna. It is always a good idea to tune the antenna using an SWR meter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The antenna is 1\4 wave which is 9 foot long the coil is not a loading coil but part of the
antenna to make it 9 foot long, it is about 4 feet long and the coil adds about 5 more feet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts