V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these cateye dash aftermarket kits? The one that i got has no directions, just a pile of parts, [seems like parts missing and extra parts also] If anyone has experience with these kits your help would be great.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Ron,
Sorry I can not help, but those that can may need to know a few more details.
1. What are you replacing. Did the bike have a center console speedo already.
2. What are you mounting it on. year, make, model, and tank configuration.
Also,
:welcome:
and Enjoy your stay

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cat eye dash

Here is some more info on the bike that I am mounting the dash on:1968 FLH /with aftermarket Fat Bob tank. I did find a exploded view of the dash http://www.mambm.com/misc/archive/CatDash.gif , this is somewhat helpfull,anyone that can add to this install would be a big help. Also does anyone know of a good place to look for custom leather tank pannels.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
One thing you may want to do is to fix up the generator light so that it goes out when the engine starts to generate elextricity. On the originals, like the Knuckleheads and such that used the Cat Eye dashes as OEM, the generator light was controlled by a relay that sat on the right front side of the crankcase. When the generator started working, the relay would pull in and the light would go out.

I put fat-bob tanks and a Cat Eye dash on my son's 1995 Sportster. I made a simple system that used two fine wires that plugged into the AC output of the alternator. They were just stuck into the connector so that they made contact when the plug was pushed in place.

That gave me AC to a small DC bridge (Radio Shack sells them). This converted the AC to DC which in turn activated a tiny 28 volt relay under the dash. It was wired so that when the ignition was on with the engine off, the light was on using the normally closed side of the relay. This caused the light to go out when the engine was started. It worked perfectly for the five years he owned the bike. The oil light will work just as shown using your signal switch.

We also drilled the dash for a left and right LED that worked to show that the turn signals were activated.

Have fun! :)

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Yes, I have one installed on my 72 FX. I like it very much. Three lights (Lt to Rt): Gen -> HiLO beam, Blue -> Nuteral and Oil -> Oil. That's how mine is connected. My shovel has an alternator and not a generator.

Yes, they do sell them as a bag of parts. If you have the kit: lots of spacers, frame, lock/switch, cover & retaining nut, screws... No instructions.

Getting it to fit correctly on my 3.5 gal tank took patience. I did it over the winter. The hardest part for me was getting the console frame to sit at the right height relative to the tank. So that the cover would sit flush agianst the tank when installed. I ended up using all of the spacers and some of my own washers to get it right. Ieven had to move the hole for the standoff that holds the cover on.

Next the ignition switch/lock was different from the orginal. I had to go back to the orginal wiring digram to work that one out on the new switch.

Basically, it's not a straight forward thing and requires customization. But I like it so much more than the tradition one. To me, it was worth the effort.

I had the orginal console but it was broken were the choke knob pushed in. Quit common I have heard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts