V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My O5 FLHT rear cast wheel won't keep a constant pressure. It leaks aprox .5 lbs to 1 lbs per 24hrs. I say 'wheel' becuase I'm on my second tire and it leaks at the same rate as the first. Has anyone had this problem?

I have checked the valve stem for a leak with soapy water. I can see nothing.
Could this be a porous rim?

The front tire is fine; it might lose a lb or 2 every three months or so.

-bluelab

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
bluelab said:
My O5 FLHT rear cast wheel won't keep a constant pressure. It leaks aprox .5 lbs to 1 lbs per 24hrs. I say 'wheel' becuase I'm on my second tire and it leaks at the same rate as the first. Has anyone had this problem?

I have checked the valve stem for a leak with soapy water. I can see nothing.
Could this be a porous rim?

The front tire is fine; it might lose a lb or 2 every three months or so.
-bluelab
It could be a porous rim. That would really suck if it was. Rubber tires and tubes are naturally porous and will leak some, but the fact that it leaks about the same with your new tire as with your first is suspicious. The only way to be sure about your rim is to immerse the tire and rim in water rotating it bit by bit until you see a stream of bubbles. If you have a motorcycle lift, you could probably do this by getting the rear wheel off the ground and lowering it into a container of water about 6 or 7 inches deep. Kind of like you'd check an inner tube for a slow leak. This is definetly a slow leak and its going to be hard (if not impossible) to find it otherwise.

Another thing to realize is that temperature affects pressure. If you aired it up say to 40psi at 70degrees, and then checked it in the morning when it was 32degrees, I can guarantee you it will be less pressure. I'm not saying this is it, but it is something to think about.

thrasher

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I had two aluminum wheels on my truck leak. Surprised me that they would. When I took them to a tire place the manager said it wasn't that uncommon. He pulled the tires off the wheels and used a hammer and punch to work the area where the leak was. It's been six years, I still have those wheels and the leaks haven't come back.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
BryanL said:
I had two aluminum wheels on my truck leak. Surprised me that they would. When I took them to a tire place the manager said it wasn't that uncommon. He pulled the tires off the wheels and used a hammer and punch to work the area where the leak was. It's been six years, I still have those wheels and the leaks haven't come back.
Good mechanic. How did he find the leak? I used to sometimes fix leaking welds in steel pipe this way.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I had a problem with a cast wheel leaking. It was a thunderstar 21" front wheel. I remounted the tire three different times and it still had a slow leak around the rim at a different place each time. I suspected it might be the bead on the tire but could never prove it as it seemed to leak at a different place on the tire each time.. I finally got frustrated and put some of that green tire seal stuff they sell at Napa in the tire and it hasn't leaked since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts