V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When I tore this apart, this what I found. Can it be salvaged or am I screwed....

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
48 Posts
Common problem, due to misalignment, loose bolts, or wrong o-ring. There are talented people who can fix it. Some people just install the inner primary correctly, and live with it. It got you this far, didn't it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the bike less than a year
The bike was neglected bad. It was stored outside with no covering. It also had a pretty bad oil leak.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Looks like there's still enough lip for an o-ring to seal. I'd run it until it develops a leak. Once that happens, you're going to have to have the case milled flat and run a gasket.

Aftermarket makes just such a gasket, but it's possible to make your own if you know what your doing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is no kind of tolerance on the thickness of gasket that can be used?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
So there is no kind of tolerance on the thickness of gasket that can be used?
I suppose there is since engine and trans have to be aligned. But I've only seen it done and have no experience with it myself.

I'm sure people smarter than me will chime in with real help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Even with No Lip whatsoever... the outer only can get ..just that close to the inner... the "lip" does Not influence that relationship... the lip only houses an O-ring that is incorporated as a seal.. It does Not affect the Fit nor Final Dimensions of the "sandwich"
Note that there is No Lip on the case halves!!! With zero "flex" the same sealant methods would be Fine..
but, it seems that no Matter What we do... If the Components are not assembled Perfectly... the "Flex" occurs, FXR's are Many times more likely to display a broken "lip" than any other Big Twin.. a good Candidate for a steel insert ring... so something else can Break, and we can chase the Weakest Link!!!!
Not much help... Just an Observation..

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
145 Posts
You can have it welded thats the easy part, then you need a machine shop that can machine it. I did one back in the early 90's on a shovel, but the machine shop is gone now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
View attachment 267133

When I tore this apart, this what I found. Can it be salvaged or am I screwed....

The fix is to either weld up the lip area and then machine a new lip or bore out the case for an insert. Both of these fixes require special tooling that the local shop probably doesn't have. I have had cases repaired using both techniques. Hard to say which one is 'The Best!' (I hate that term). Baisley welds them up and turns them down in in a lathe. I think Scott at Hillside does an insert. There are other lesser known shops that do it as well. Everything else is just a band aid.

Embrace the suck. Owning an FXR is sort of like owning an old wooden boat, lots of fun and lots of maintenance. Owning a neglected FXR is even more fun. No free lunches.

Reactions: scooter.8

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I"m in for some fun times or I could part it out. I really wasnt planning on keeping the bike but I may have to if I get too much money in it. Thank you

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
there is a shop in michigan that can repair that... all they do is repairs to harley engine transmission and possibly inner primaries,,,, i dont recall the shops name..
however. their repairs and restorations are of excellent quality,, and appear, when finished,, as never having had an issue or repair...

this takes tooling and skills specific to harleys,,, its a 1 stop shop..

i have met. and apoken at length with owner,,,

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
marty,, i dont remember the location,,, i met them at a dealer show, a few years back.
Gotcha... there are a couple, .. some better than others..
Been awhile since a Dealer Show... Huh??
Damn Shame... I kinda looked forward to Cincinnati..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Well Im in N.C. so thats a little far. I will figure out something.
Gonna want the Cases Split and then the Flywheels removed to do the job correctly anyway.. Makes Shipping Much Cheaper.
Maybe Come to a Drag Race in Rockingham...or even Gallot MSP, send the bottom home with someone like Kirby, at Kirby's Vee-Twin... he has done that also.. There are People in N.C. who may be able to do it... I can look around if you Like.

Edit; as Stated previously, That one of Yours, is Not all that bad... I have run worse!!
I have one now, about completely gone...had a Bad Home previously..
Luckily, it currently needs a rebuild... I will pull it apart this winter..

BTW that is an '82 correct??
with that broken, It prolly will not seal up to run the O.E. primary lube recycle system...
Follow the procedures for isolating a Shovelhead primary [4-speed is the Same BTW].

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is 82. The only problem I have is, its not a original 82. It has different tins, s&s heads and Im sure it has been bored or something like that. The jugs are not original. And has been out in the weather for no telling how long. If it was original I would not have a problem spending a little money on it. With that being said, Im trying not to waste money by putting anymore that I have to. The only good thing is that I dont have to pay for labor.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It is 82. The only problem I have is, its not a original 82. It has different tins, s&s heads and Im sure it has been bored or something like that. The jugs are not original. And has been out in the weather for no telling how long. If it was original I would not have a problem spending a little money on it. With that being said, Im trying not to waste money by putting anymore that I have to. The only good thing is that I dont have to pay for labor.
All the more reason to simply isolate the primary..I doubt that area will cause any leakage or other problems... if Isolated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts