V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '03 WideGlide, new, from a dealership on the west coast, and after breaking it in I went for my first good ride across to the eastern Sierras and then headed north.I had already done 300 miles or more on the 2nd day, when I noticed the battery seemed to be getting weaker, and by the time I got to Independence and was checking into a hotel, it wouldn't even turn over to start. As luck would have it, the guy in the room next door had an extension cord and a charger and got it set up, and then started calling around. Finally someone at a Yamaha store knew of a guy in Bishop who was the local lawn mower, boat motor, and snow mobile mechanic, and he was also the local Harley mechanic.
Battery fully charged, I ran it up to Bishop, found Stoney's shop, he metered it and declared "stator's gone." But its a brand new bike(at this point it only had 1700 miles on it). He shrugged and told me he had no parts because it was brand new, then told me I would have to run up to Carson City H-D, 180 miles away, "and whatever you do, don't turn it off til you get there. Its still puttin' out over 11 volts, so it might make it."
Three 8000+ft mountain passes and two thunder showers later, I rolled it in, coughin' and sputterin'(the bike was running rough too). They took it in right away, and 3 hours later rolled it back out. They charged H-D corp. for a warrantied full changeouton the stator, told me no charge to me.
6 months later I was riding around and the bike started acting in the same way, so I called up the H-D factory engineers and told them the events leading up to the call, and that I was concerned, what with the warranty eventually expiring soon. They told me that the Dyna series alternators were highly reliable and that they've never heard of two failures on the same bike in the first year. The guy gave me his ext. number, told me to take it back to the original dealership, have them open it up and then to call him and tell him what they found. Which they did, and what they found was the original stator in place, with a jumper wire bypassing the coil that had cooked. So, the engineer and the warranty people and others descended upon CCHD,
who, in turn, said oh no, we would never violate the trust of the customer or H-D Corp. He(being me) must have fried another one and then did that himself. I have close ties with the dealershio, and they know me better and they said "no, he would never do it. If he even just picks up a tool and walks towards the bike, parts just start falling off before he even gets to it."
Anyways, CCHD got a bad mark and a slap on the wrist, and I got another stator. In the 4 years since then. I've had 3 more go out, at my expense. So much for reliability.
The point here is, the Eastern Sierras is/are some of the most beautiful, and very remote country around. You need to be able to rely on a dealership, and the quality of their work, whether you're touring, or a repeat local.
This all happened in September 2002. Hopefully, management and technicians have moved on.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Pretty strange story,almost had to believe.
I also gotta wonder why you would keep having stators go out,they are usually good for at least 50,000 miles and should go much longer.
I have replaced 1 in 130,000 miles on my '00 EG Classic.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stator heaven

Indeed. Strange, but true. I thought maybe there was a common link, however two of the failures were due to a coil frying, the others were due to the lead wires wearing through and shorting out I think the real common thread is that perhaps the shellac or varnish, whatever they coat the wires and coils with, wasn't thick enough, and caused a dielectric breakdown. The one thats in there now has lasted over a year and 15k, and its the only one that wasn't of H-D manufacture.:woohoo:

·
Registered
161 Posts
"H-D manufacture?"

I would be VERY surprised if Harley manufactured any of these. I think they outsource everything electrical.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Reno HD is the place to go when needing service in that area. Best customer service I have ever had from a harley dealer.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H- manufacture?

Esterhaus said:
"H-D manufacture?"

I would be VERY surprised if Harley manufactured any of these. I think they outsource everything electrical.
Okay-let me rephrase that - as in purchased-from and supplied-by and bearing the H-D stamp.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H-D manufacture?

Esterhaus said:
"H-D manufacture?"

Okay-let me rephrase that - as in purchased-from and supplied-by and bearing the H-D stamp.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
That's a strange story alright. I believe the first part, and having a hard time understanding the 2nd part (3 more going out - to total 4!). Strange coinsidence. Hard to explain.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reno

04GLIDE said:
Reno HD is the place to go when needing service in that area. Best customer service I have ever had from a harley dealer.
That's what I've heard from several people over the years, in regards to Reno.
However I didn't have that option at the time. the bike was beginning to run pretty erratically by the time I got to Carson City. I figure I was pretty fortunate to not have to be towed/trailered in, and I was still able to finish my vacation the way I wanted to.:xhere: I look back at it as a good lesson in becoming more self-reliant and resourceful.
I know several other people with '03 fxdwg's, and none of them have ever had any problem with theirs, and other than the stator thing, mine had been great.:thumbsup: I go to a lot of out-of-the-way places, usually on my own,and wideglide is almost as much fun as a pair of the great wobbling wajoobies:boobies:

·
Seasoned Wrench
509 Posts
@gree: ~!Awesome!

:thanks: :wootdnc: :boobies: :woohoo: :beer4u:
:Banadance :cheers: ?prty:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts