V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 super glide. I love the bike, but I do not have any saddle bags, racks, pouches or anything. I am not looking to haul a ton of gear and go touring, but I can not even go rent a movie as I have no where to haul it back. I would really like to have some sort of storage for small things, but I don't want anything that looks to cheesy. I looked at some saddle bags in the HD catalog and they were nice but they were around $700. I am looking for something cheaper. Either saddlebags, a pouch that goes on the forks, something for behind the sissy bar, etc. I am open to suggesstions.

·
Banned
154 Posts
two words.....

e bay

I've found some fairly inexpensive items for my bike on ebay. I found a set of throw over saddle bags for a little more then 50 bucks. You can find tool bags cheap too.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I got a new set of H-D fixed mount leather bags for my FXD a couple years ago off eBay. They were floor models from a dealer....no scratches....looked great. At the time they sold for over $600 and I got 'em for less than half that.

T113

·
Registered
479 Posts
I got saddle bag brackets from JC Whitney and Tour Master large, leather throw-over bags. I put the bag yoke under the seat.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I have never done it myself but I have seen some guys on choppers with back packs. If you have a sissy bar it is amazing what you can carry with a bungee cord, between the sissy bar and your butt. Sometimes I wear a leather vest just to stick things in, like a steak from the grocery store, or a shirt from the HD shop. :dunno: I know what you mean I refuse to put bags on my FXDL

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I'm one of the guys who spent $700 or more on harley bags with a quick detach system. Of course that meant I had to move the lights, etc. A year later I sold the bike. If I had to do it over I would get a t bag. Maybe a small roll type bag and a bigger one if you travel on weekends. This way you can take the bags with you when you change bikes. Also, the harley bags designed for a dyna are too small for the money.

·
Finally
839 Posts
I have the roll bag that fastens to the luggage rack if you have one. Of course it depends on which rack you have if it will work or not. It's listed in the HD catalog under the Softail and Wide Glide but I have a FXD with the 4 bar rack and it works great. Easy on Easy off...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
A fork bag and sissy bar bag should haul most of the small stuff. A roll bag strapped to your sissy bar and luggage rack will handle the bigger stuff.
I've got one of these Saddlemen Cruis'n tool bags on the forks

One of these Cruis'n bags for the sissy bar

And one of these T-Bag top roll bags for the luggage rack (which I pretty much leave on all the time)

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I had a Dyna once and had the same storage problems. I bought a tool pouch and mounted it on my front forks. I bought another tool pouch that mounted below the voltage regulator on the down tubes and a SAC to hang on the sissy bar when needed. Still I had storage issues, as most of my riding buddies live about 45 miles away and it gets cool on the ride home late at night.

Then I bought a Road King and thought all of my probems were solved.... Well the buddies that still ride Dyna's need to carry gear for our longer rides and I am always asked "Can you tote this for me?".... Sure, we'll make room.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
The Rigg small roll bag is usually on (clear plastic between the bag and fender). The Chilhowee tool bag is always on - papers and tools. The magnetic tank bag sometimes and if I want to get serious I add the LeatherLyke saddle bags but they make the bike look like a fat old lady from the back. Yes they do make it's a$$ look fat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
rack

I have an 04 FXDL with no sissy bar, side plates, etc. I have tool pouch that I use sometimes and for trips I bought a rack from Drag Specialties for about $50. It attaches to the license plate bracket and the seat bolt. It worked great for me last summer.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
While you are deciding what to buy :wacko: get a motorcycle cargo net. They are very versitle and you can stuff it in your jacket sleeve. :D

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
I have a Biker's Friend medium bag. It is a round synthetic leather bag w/ a very strong plastic cylinder inside. The medium is just large enough for my half helmet and a few other items. Both ends have inside AND outside pockets. Easy to install in numerous locations on your motorcycle. They come in 4 sizes, from Small to X-Large. One of the best features is that it comes with a back/lumbar support pad. Makes for a GREAT backrest on long trips. I have attached a few pics below. I also included a link to their website. Great bag!

Link: Biker's Friend Website

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a magnetic tank bag, I use it on all of my bikes, actually I have two one small,and one bigger. Most Harley people don't use them, but most of them don't ride as much as I do i guess.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
I have a collection of stuff -- T-bag,large roll bag, detachable sissy bar and luggage rack, tank bag and a small bag that goes on the bars up by the speedo/tach, a net. Thinking of detachable Boss Bags too.

For quick hops to the store and such, I use a Walmart back pack... but then I'm not too fashion concsious. I've also jammed an impressive amount of stuff down my shirt.

Basically - I don't like any extra stuff on the bike, so I use whatever fits my need at the time. The roll bag/luggage rack works very well, and so does the T-bag. Like someone earlier said - the tank bag is extremely useful and I can't say enough good things about it - you can wear it like a backpack when you're walking around.

As you're aware, this sht gets spendy. I've managed to find everything on deep discount or at non-HD shops. The tank bag for example - is a Joe Rocket I got from a sportbike shop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts