V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of planning a roadtrip that will take me through a few National parks, State Parks and some National Forests. From a concealed perspective how do you do this and stay within the law?
I do have a lock box that is FAA approved, i am thinking that i lock the pistol in that with the ammo in another bag. Seems stupid, but what are my options.

Do state parks have the same carry issues as National Parks and National Forests? :gun:

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
National Forests are generally OK. Each state is different so you're gonna have to research each one as far as state parks.

I sometimes just take the approach that what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Try these:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

PhilRKC said:
I am in the process of planning a roadtrip that will take me through a few National parks, State Parks and some National Forests. From a concealed perspective how do you do this and stay within the law?
I do have a lock box that is FAA approved, i am thinking that i lock the pistol in that with the ammo in another bag. Seems stupid, but what are my options.

Do state parks have the same carry issues as National Parks and National Forests? :gun:

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
575 Posts
Plan your route so that you travel through as many states that practice reciprocity with yours as possible. For those states that don't, contact their state attorney's office and ask about transporting through their state. You might need the lock box. I did this in '04 traveling to Sturgis. All that it ammounted to was making sure I locked the empty pistol in the T-Bag and the ammo in a saddlebag as I passed through Wis.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't know if the Harleys or the Davidsons were pro-gun, pro-CCW, pro-OC, pro-2A or anything.........but somehow I'd like to think these ironhorse giants are rolling over in their graves.

14-O said:
Plan your route so that you travel through as many states that practice reciprocity with yours as possible. For those states that don't, contact their state attorney's office and ask about transporting through their state. You might need the lock box. I did this in '04 traveling to Sturgis. All that it ammounted to was making sure I locked the empty pistol in the T-Bag and the ammo in a saddlebag as I passed through Wis.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
PhilRKC said:

Thanks

Phil
Some State and National Parks and/or National Forests may have a posted sign prohibiting firearms on their grounds. "IF" I carried a firearm on a long bike trip thru State/National Parks and such areas, I would keep the weapon well hidden and I would not tell ANYONE that I had a gun.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all,
I have not decided if i will carry on the trip, with the number of National and State forests and parks, i expect it would be locked up more than carried. I was trying to get some ideas on what pthers may do.

Phil :thanks:

·
Flying low
812 Posts
When we're on a long trip, especially one that will take us through sparsely populated areas, any artillery goes into the tour pack ready for use. We take it into the hotel room when we stop for the night, and if we're stopped by the side of the road I figure I have plenty of time to get at it if anything starts to look like it could possibly be threatening. For instance, if I'm wandering off to water the local plant life, I'll often carry it with me -- the first two rounds are .357 birdshot for rats & snakes. After that things get serious.

I don't feel the need to carry concealed on my person all the time. We generally try to avoid any places & times where we might be more likely to run into trouble; it's not hard to do. As for how the local laws pertain to how I transport my personal firearm... well, I'm more willing to risk getting into a little trouble for having it, than risk the trouble that could arise from not having it. Either one is pretty unlikely to happen if you act like a grown-up and MYOFB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the wife carries a fanny pack

and in the fanny pack is the 9mm... it never fails...they do not consider her a threat....but,, she is a saviour if needed

·
Registered
49 Posts
the harley or davidsons spinning in their graves by resorting to excersizing a god given right to self defence ? that really pisses me off.i would like to believe that the other bike riders feel the same way as i do ,that is i demand my rights to be able to excersize my 2a rights legally of course.thats what the freedom we fought for in 2 plus world wars was for,as well as the freedom we experience in the open riding our iron horses.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm not sure if we are both confused on this one. My comment about the Motor Complany founders rolling in their graves is COMPLETELY about our 2A rights not being allowed in the great state they developed the bikes in. I was referring to the very statements you made but just not in so much words. Are you saying I wasn't?

tom catman said:
the harley or davidsons spinning in their graves by resorting to excersizing a god given right to self defence ? that really pisses me off.i would like to believe that the other bike riders feel the same way as i do ,that is i demand my rights to be able to excersize my 2a rights legally of course.thats what the freedom we fought for in 2 plus world wars was for,as well as the freedom we experience in the open riding our iron horses.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Observant folks sometimes ask me what the covered zipper is on the side of my "Harley" riders backrest. I use it to adjust the padding thickness. Small is good on long trips and most NP prohibit firearms.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
what did you decide to do?

I rode from SC to CO last month, just decided to leave it alone --> kept the tank full, and the throttle WFO.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Anyone know about carrying on Indian reservations? Are they covered by the same laws as the states they are inside of?

It is pretty easy to wander into Indian land and not even be aware of it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
dhwingert said:
Anyone know about carrying on Indian reservations? Are they covered by the same laws as the states they are inside of?

We live in a state with 3 or 4 reservations. I lost count. For the last 30 years or so, there have been few problems. But bear in mind that you're on THEIR property when you enter any reservation, and they have different laws than we do. Can't just call the cavalry to come to your rescue. There was a day when even state cops got pulled over on the reservation for going 56 in a 55. The advent of reservation gambling seems to have put a stop to that kind of nonsense. But if they decide to make a point, no one can tell them not to. If you break down, they can be your best friend. But if you break a tribal law, you'll probably wish you were smack in the middle of Detroit rather than facing an Ojibwa tribal council.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
14-O said:
We live in a state with 3 or 4 reservations. I lost count. For the last 30 years or so, there have been few problems. But bear in mind that you're on THEIR property when you enter any reservation, and they have different laws than we do. Can't just call the cavalry to come to your rescue. There was a day when even state cops got pulled over on the reservation for going 56 in a 55. The advent of reservation gambling seems to have put a stop to that kind of nonsense. But if they decide to make a point, no one can tell them not to. If you break down, they can be your best friend. But if you break a tribal law, you'll probably wish you were smack in the middle of Detroit rather than facing an Ojibwa tribal council.
If my cpl doesn't count on Indian land inside the state, I'd just as soon know it and not do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

From page 2:

Carry on Indian property is controlled by Tribal Law. You must check with each tribe before carrying on their property. Some Indian Tribes consider federal and state highways through their property as under their control. There is a link to the Indian Nations on Handgunlaw.us. Look in at the header on any of the main pages at Handgunlaw.us and moving your mouse pointer over Indian Nations will give you seven different links to check on tribal law.

dhwingert said:

·
Registered
12 Posts
As stated, you can check and see what the rules and regs are in the states you pass thru. If it was me, I would just carry one and hope for the best. I would carry something small, right now I usually carry a Kel Tec 380. If you are traveling and trying to be unnoticed, you can really carry a 44 mag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts