V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Carburetor (?) Problem - Help!

I recently bought an '02 Super Glide. It has been upgraded to V&H Straightshots and the SE Stage 1 air cleaner kit. The dealer said that it was also re-jetted and tuned when the upgrades were installed. Not sure (didn't ask) if the H-D dealership did the work or not. I am looking for a little help with troubleshooting a minor issue that I am experiencing. New to Harley ownership, so please forgive my stupid questions!!

Problem: I follow the owner's manual instructions for operation of the enricher knob, but even after 5 minutes I'm not able to push the knob all the way in without it stalling. Even after 10+ minutes, when I push the knob in I have to continue to "burp" the throttle to keep it from almost stalling. I removed the spark plugs and they look virtually brand new. The porcelain and electrodes looked fine. There was a very slight black soot around the outside edge of the threads, but that could be from some fo the short runs I have been doing lately.

Could this be as simple as the idle needs to be adjusted up a little? Should I take it and get it dyno tuned and the jetting re-evaluated? Could it be just because of the cold temperatures?

Your thoughts/feedback will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds to me like its still lean. If the jetting was done at the harley dealer then they only did half the job. You need to remove the welch plug covering the air mixture screw seat it lightly then back it out 2 1/2 to 3 turns. The instructions for this are on Nightrider.com if this doesn't help open up the carb and see whats in it for jets. Good Luck

jeff

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the response!! I'll take a look at that website and give your idea a try!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts