V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 RK, Carburetor model. Sampson pipes and hi flow kit. what size main jet should I be running? I know what is in there, but would like to see what others say first. A buddy of mine has a Heritage with sampson street pounders and he gets 20 miles more on his bike before hitting reserve, I don't know what jet he has nor does he.. In addition mine will spit from time to time, I notice this happens when the idle drops somewhat...his never spits and runs strong. Just want to know jet size to use, if anyone here has a good suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You might try this thread http://209.151.86.249/forums//showthread.php?s=&threadid=3285

I seem to have the same problem with the same eng. mods poping out the carb. I had it rejetted at the place I bought it from"don't know what size jet they put in" but it still seems to be a little lean. Might check into what Hippo suggested in that thread. Mine also takes a little to long to accelerate in highgear at around 3000 rpm I haven't had time to change anything yet.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you have the stock carb with the stock needle and the slide is not modified, a good starting point is the stock 45 low (maybe if needed a 46, you can get them at any Kawasaki place), the needle shimmed about .040" with two #4 brass washers from the hardware store, and the stock 190 main. Drill the plug out and adjust idle mixture for best idle.

Make sure the accel pump nozzle sparys exactly into the center of the carb throat.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
20 miles difference between bikes hitting reserve is nothing, even if the amount of fuel left in the tank is the same which is unlikely, varies even on the same model bike.

The only somewhat valid comparison would be to fill the bikes up at the same time before and after from the same pump. Riding style makes a big difference in mileage on carb bikes even with both riding at the same speed as some people always move throttle position back and forth. If a bike has cruise control it is easy to prove the point.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
not to horn into a topic, but rather than starting a new topic, how can you be sure the spray nozzle is exactly lined up? also, i adjusted my mixture screw the other day. i turned it out till it idled rough, then turned it back till it idled smooth. is that correct?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey no problem here Otterbob.
I have the Dynajet kit with the powerslide it only pops when the rpms are coming down about 1000 rpm if I rap the throttle as in downshifting it pops out the carb it won't do but once in a while. I didn't notice the problem accelerating untill last Sunday.
At about 3000 rpm when I open the throttle (wot) it wants to hesitate its not much, and I usually don't ride that fast but when I need it I like to feel confident when passing.
I know how to read plugs but it wont do much good unless I start with clean ones run it wide open then kill the engine in midsong. And even then it might give a good read.
The guy at the dealer that calls himself a mech. said its just the Dynajet kit opening the throttle to quick. I don't have time untill next weekend to mess with it. I'll post when I figure out how to fine tune my problem.
I got some fine pointers from Hippo on how to set up the carb for ease of service. Thank you Hippo !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts