V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some feed back regarding pro's and con's between fuel injected or carb engines. I have decided on the bike I want and now I am trying to determine which fuel delivery option would be best!! I am buying a 2003 FLSTC/FLSTCI Heritage Softail and my plans are to keep the bike stock except for mufflers and air cleaner upgrade. I also plan on riding the bike daily to work which is about a 200km round trip ( 120 miles for all you U.S. folk) I also live in east central Saskatchewan (Canada) and the mornings can be quite chilly in early spring and fall. I am very mechanically inclined and kinda like the idea of tinkering with the bike , but it may make more sence to buy a FI because of the climate I live in.

Love to hear any thoughts/suggestions

Mike

·
Registered
758 Posts
Considering how cold it can be in the "Great White North," I'd go with the EFI bike. Getting a bike started in cool/cold weather can be a pain. You can tinker with the bike, if you dont mind spending a bit more and have a lap-top computer. With your parameters of being a daily commuter bike, the EFI would be worth it.

Carb bikes are great if you plan to hot rod the bike or simply want to do all your own mechanical work. If you are in an enviromentally impacted area [read air quality issues], stay with EFI. Either way, you'll like the ride.

I'm planning on riding to Canada this summer, any cycle related issues I should be aware of? I know about the general issues, but have never ridden there. Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
EFI all the way for touring....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info , I have a laptop computer so is there software available any ideas.

As far as riding into the great white north , just be sure not to come before the middle of June. Also try to stick to major highways as the secondary highways can be wild. Our govenment is a bit shy on $$$ for road repair!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mine lives outdoors all year in the UK. No problems with the EFI cept a replaced cam pos. sensor.
Not a problem anymore as they aren't used in recent years since 'Defphi'.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you are looking for engine management software, S & S has a programmable ECM for the Magneti Marelli and the Delphi EFI systems. Power Commander has a bit of a head start, but I plan on going to the S & S setup. Other comapnies are putting out ECM software now that the Motor Company is headed in that direction.

Thanks for the info. too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another real advantage with EFI is it compesates automatically for elevation changes. so ride in those mountains and go, go , go!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments and opinions , looks like FI all the way! Just wish it would warm up a bit (minus 38 C this AM , or for my frends south of the 49th that is 35 below zero)

Think Im gonna Love this site!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mountains and Saskatchewan in the same thread... Too Funny! :)

Lumpy

·
Registered
5 Posts
i would go EFI because i think it is easier to upgrade the fuel system when you do upgrade that engine to a 95" motor and you do not have to worry about altitude changes riding in the mountains

G

·
Let me put forth an alternative viewpoint ... ;)

I've got a carbed bike that starts fine in the winter, needs no warm-up before I take off, and runs fine in the mountains. When I make an engine change, it costs $5-$10 for new jets instead of $250 for a dealer reprogramming or $500 and a laptop to do it yerself. Major downside is remembering to close the choke. If you have Alzheimers, EFI may be the best way to go ... :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Prefer carb. I've ridden both. I like the throttle response and decelleration of a carb. less likely to have problems that I can't figure out with a carb. prefer a lower idle and sound of a carb. prefer gravity over electronics. you have to pull the choke out when cold, but...big deal. to me the carb bike is more "self contained" without the need for outside computerized assistance. this is what I want when I'm in the middle of nowhere riding. you won't have problems with altitude to sea level riding if your carb is set up correct. no doubt efi is what the future holds thanks to the epa.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not completely sold on the EFI yet!! If the dealer can find the model and color I am looing for I will take either. As long as I have a ride this summer that is the main thing.

And hey I don't have Alzheimers , or at least I dont remember having Alzheimers.... :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Carb for all the reasons stated. Less shitt to go wrong. I been nailed 2 times fer LOUD pipes and had to get inspections done. It only takes a couple of minutes to re-adjust the carb, but if I had to download some S/W crap just to change my pipe, fuk that. And then I would have to do it again ten minutes after I got back from inspection to put my bad ass VH’s back on. NOT! Carb fer me thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd go with FI. I've ridden both an fuel injected FLHTCUI and my current FLHRCI in 100 degree heat and 30 degree cold. If the injection is mapped right with a Dynojet PC there are no problems. Great response, mileage and no worries.

You will limit the tickering you can do with FI, so if you're inclined to play in the shop and reach for extreme performance, you'll want to rethink it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts