V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new. I went to test drive a BMW R1150RT, like I've been riding BMWs and Japanese bikes for 25 years, and I got put on a Road King and filpped. COuld not believe what I had been missing!

Anyway, its down to two Road Kings. a 2000 Carbed Poilce Bike from the shriners or a 2001 EFI from a Policeman. nearly the same bike,but I like the looks of the Black Police Bike better. Any reason not to go with the carbed bike? It's a little cheaper.

Also, the Road King I tested at Kegek's had, apparently, Kuryakyn handlebars and grips I liked'em. Wider than the stock. Any way to get similar bars for less than $300? Anyone got some used?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
On the 00 model make sure you get the birth date. It needs to be after Dec 14, 1999 or ya got crap bearings.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've got a carb on my Deuce and EFI on the Road King. To me, a touring bike and EFI just seem like the perfect match. Don't get me wrong, the carb is just fine but I do like the EFI. If you're going to do a lot of touring and get into major altitude differences from where you normally ride you may have rich / lean conditions with the carb but the EFI will compensate for it. It's not really a big deal, just my .02.

-jeff

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I'm currently on an 02 EFI Road King at work, and have a 00 carb bike of my own (also a P model). The fuel injection is nice, no choke, limited warm ups, but I like the throttle response better on the carb bikes.

Right on about the cams. Mine were replaced when I had some other mods done. Had a 1999 model that were replaced twice. Harley didn't have the replacements out when they crapped out the first time, so they just put the same one back in.

I'd look at more than just the carb/EFI issue, unless your going to do some extreme engine work. Price, mileage, and overall shape of the bike need to be considered. Used police model bikes can be a good deal if you now where they came from.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Heard pros and cons for both...

I just got a 2000 FLHRCI - it's a nice treat to not have to mess with a carb. The S&S on my old Sporty was a b*tch to dial in...

Guess I'll have to check the "born on" date to see if I've got crappy bearings - thanks JimmyK.

Haven't gotten to ride the FLHRCI enough to really compare the two, but then again, I don't know if you can really compare an '82 Ironhead Sporty to a 2000 fuel-injected big-bore road king!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Ridden carb HD's longer than I care to remember. Just turned over 4,100 miles on my new FLHTCI. Absolutely flawless todate. The machine has seen 6500 ft. down to sea level without the first cough or foul plug. Don't regret spending the extra $$$$ for the EFI. I will admit that power is somewhat less than the carb bikes, even after installation of the stage 1 kit and slip-on's. Oh well, guess that I can learn to be a little less aggressive and a little more passive while enjoying the ride. "Must be the age factor kicking in."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts