V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a new bike. That said I have read a few things on this forum about it being harder to get more performance from the EFI( like big bore kit or stroking it). Is this true? And if it is why?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not necessarily harder, just much more expensive, and you still would have to find someone that knows what they are doing. EFI is much more unforgiving of sloppy tuning then carbs because once it is off by a bit it tends to go into a vicious loop as one thing affects others. You got a carb that's off by a bit and that's all you got. Hard to explain.

Other then the expense, one of the reasons is that with the EFI, the MM in particular, you are locked into an unfavorable intake configuration, at least relatively speaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Charlie is right on the money. It has been said if you want to modify for horsepower go carburetor. If you want 'idiot proof' performance go EFI. Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
276 Posts
Be able to tell you in a few days......95" headquarter heads, cams, s&s gears, power commander going on my '02 EFI RG. One thing I can say is having a real cruise control on a touring bike is a wonderfull thing, you only get that with EFI.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Good new for the EFI folks is that the new PC III has a port that hooks up to a Djnojet (500 I think). After one run the CPU of the Dynojet sets the EFI & timing for max HP. The 2ed run tells you what you get. Idiot proof tuning , what will they think of next?

·
BFFB
833 Posts
port

i saw this last night at a buddys house,,,he showed me the maps on his lap top plugged in to the ppower commander and they had every bike with tons of possible combinations of performance parts which are supposed to be already dynoed,,,way to techno for me,,i think he said he got all these possible combos from their web sight??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the PCIII on the 'other' bike (see below) with aftermarket exhaust and air box. My brother (computer guru) customized the map and it runs like a scalded dog with no popping on decelleration. Took him all of 30 minutes (but he knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
MM = Magneti Marelli, as in the old EFI system.

They are a good company, owned by Weber, they do all the engine management for the F1 Ferrari team, and are world class when people are willing to pay for it.
It's just that the system on the Harleys is several generations old. A lot of the components for the Delphi system are still made by them.
It's just the operating system so to speak that is made by Delphi.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HIPPO said:
MM = Magneti Marelli, as in the old EFI system.

They are a good company, owned by Weber, they do all the engine management for the F1 Ferrari team, and are world class when people are willing to pay for it.
It's just that the system on the Harleys is several generations old. A lot of the components for the Delphi system are still made by them.
It's just the operating system so to speak that is made by Delphi.
Quote.... A lot of the components for the Delphi system are still made by them.Quote
When is the time gonna come when then the original MM might verge Totally with the ESPFI/Delfi?[/B]

I'm wondering wheter or not to 'Upgrade' to DELPHI or to stay 'simply''ish... never mind the faces,,,,,, rolleyes.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's irrelevant. Anyone can make the individual components. It's all in the software and configuration these days. The individual components are pretty standard.

It was a Delphi system from day one in this sense.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hippo, I'm just back from olliday'ssss'''.

Off to bed.

I know this needs more time than my eyes have got at the minute. :eek:

Tomorrow...............

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why is EFI an unfavorable intake configuration? And thanks for the good feed back guys I appricate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts