V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am currently in the market to buy a new Harley and I am stuck on the differences (pro/con) concerning the choice of Carb/EFI. Some say EFI is the way to go, very dependable, any weather, any condition, starts right up and you are ready to go. Others say, Carb is the 'true' way to go, performance wise, and ease to add performance upgrades that can not be done on an EFI Hog.

Any opinions? Recomendations?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

·
old timer
516 Posts
THere are two schools of thought on this subject. EFI is probably the best for ease of operation over a wide range of climates and geographical changes. There is a cost factor that is increased with the maintenance over time.

If you are planning to leave the bike in stock configuration it might be best to go with EFI.

Carb'd has the advantage of lower maint cost over the life of the bike and changes in exhaust, breather etc. can be accomodated by simple re-jetting and minor carb modification. Easier to make changes. I have a 96 EVO Hot Rod and it has a Mikuni on it, I just bought a Twin Cam Ultra RoadGlide and it is carb'd. When I brought it home I changed the exhaust, air clearner and re-jetted the carb and it is sweet. I think the carb'd bike makes slightly more Horsepower than the EFI Bike.

Personal preference aside both have advantages. I'd think about the long term if you are going to modify the bike then I'd recommend the carb.

manny

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have always been a proponent of carbureted Harleys. Then I got the 02 with the Delphi EFI and it felt like it ran really strong.
Last monday with Manny we had the opportunity to run two identical bikes, one EFI and one carb, pretty much flat out for a good distance, from sea level to a little over 7000ft., and the two bikes were exactly matched in performance and fuel mileage.
If you consider the carb bike was carrying an extra 100 - 150 lb, there can be no question it is the stronger bike, even before spending about $10.00 to noticeably improve the performance.
The EFI is a money pit designed specifically to increase the profit for dealers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Currently Harley's invocation of the EFI is done via "hardcoding" the maps into the ECM map sets. Possibly in the future or with the help of 2nd party providers such as PowerCommander, one can reprogram the ECM with their own maps. What this may eventually mean is that instead of physically rejetting the carb, you'd plug in your Lap top PC, and define your own fuel/air mixture curve. If you look at it this way, the possibilities are endless... However, you gotta figure the costs of all the gadgets and other ramifications such as destroying your engine if you don't know what you're doing. So as posted above, at least for now, carb is probably cheapest for doing mods. I got an EFI cause it was in stock and I wanted it that bad. Logic and emotions never go together.

That's my two cents..

Cheers

·
old timer
516 Posts
Al,

You are 100 % correct. If they ever get to a programmable system where you can adjust as you go, EFI will be the ultimate. Carbs are just a little easier for adapting at this time. Plus old guys understand carbs and may not have the 'hard drive' space to re-learn Fuel Injection.

I would have bought the EFI bike if that had been the only one available. But I got the option.

manny

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another country heard from,,,

I have a 2002 FLHRI, added SE Stage I, and Hooker Slip ons. I think you get better low and midrange torque with injected models. Not to mention better performance with altitude changes, as the injectors adjust automatically.

I'll never go back to carb.

Whatever you choose, enjoy and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Clancy, I see that you just made your first post.

Welcome to the H/D Forum. And thanks for sharing your thinking on the topic.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just closed on my first -EFI- scoot (02 Fatboy) and this type of fuel delivery is like a wet dream. No worry with any choke, throttle blips, backfires, just idle the engine long enough to get the oil circulating and lift off, clear the pad.My previous bike was carbed, it was good too, you can tinker more with carbs (drill slides,pilot sizes, needle shapes,spacers, etc) but I'm sold on EFI, never go back.

*Just my South Florida opinion*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts