V-Twin Forum banner

Carb to EFI

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  woodwalkertc88 
#1 ·
My '02 FXSTD is carburated, but having seen a few EFI bikes and read several post on VTF I'd like to go EFI. I looked around the net, but couldn't find any aftermarket or OEM EFIs. Will it cost a lot? Is it worth it?

#2 ·
Not sure...but expensive

Hey Buddy,

Not sure how much it will cost, but I can tell you that it would be pretty expensive. Think about the process that EFI takes to keep these bikes running. Between labor, the parts, the time, etc., I think you are better keeping the carb (it will sound better than an EFI ever will) ride the hell out of it, and then get an a EFI Bike when you are ready.

Just my $.02

Good Luck.
Danny

#3 ·
To give you the short answer no ......be happy you have a carb bike .... if you are having ridabilty issues ... get the carb rebuilt. My 01 44,500 mile glide started running a little snaggy when it was cold ....we found a worn slide. replaced the slide and the enrichener cable and valve and presto ,, it runs like a brand new bike .......it was cheap , simple and effective. There is a little flat spot from the factory they can fix just by drilling out a plug and fattening up the jet touch ..... my bike is bone stock from the aircleaner to the exhaust....i am more than happy with the way it runs. Rule one ,, keep things simple ... ride safe rat

#5 ·
I had considered doing just that to my 2003 EGC. Total cost was near 3 grand. Phuck that EFI!!!! Man does my carb look good!!!! 'Sides, my dealer has a new Ultra in the Cobalt Blue and Silver. We're still dickerin'

#7 ·
WELL The new tanks are all efi style, you need a pump assmy, intake, t/b, sensors, and a harness. Finding the intake, and t/b is easy I have several stock untis, the tank is about 250 for a aftermarket style looks VERY close to stock, + you have to paint that. Or find one on ebay last I look they where getting 3-4 hundred for a painted tank. Harness would be a aftermarket or HD item HD gets 350 for a harness. and you still need the ecm.. You might get lucky and find a wrecked bike that you could wheel and deal on. I have seen them get parted out and you would be in it for less than a grand for the parts you need. What is the reason you want to go efi?? I mean if the carb is working then use it, changing elevation and temps big fromone extreme to the other is where efi really shines.

#8 ·
why?

well, all the new bikes the guys have are efi, and they were taking about how easy it is to tune it. Don't have to take it apart like a carb, or rejet it either. I just read an article in AIM about efi. It (and evryone's replies) sold me to stay carb as long as I can. if it was cheap and easy I'd think again about it, but then if it was, I wouldn't have had to post a question about it, would I?, Any way thanks everyone for your input.
"CARBS RULE"

#10 ·
Sgt Ketsu said:
well, all the new bikes the guys have are efi, and they were taking about how easy it is to tune it. Don't have to take it apart like a carb, or rejet it either. I just read an article in AIM about efi. It (and evryone's replies) sold me to stay carb as long as I can. if it was cheap and easy I'd think again about it, but then if it was, I wouldn't have had to post a question about it, would I?, Any way thanks everyone for your input.
"CARBS RULE"
if you change your mind again we are converting 2 '03 bikes to carb this winter we will have two boxes with all the "stuff " on the shelf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.