V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general forum also because I am hoping people who really know their bikes but may not have a Sportster will see my problem.

Last month I bought a new 2002 883 Sportster and it "sneezed" out the carb quite often. I've read that this is common and the dealer told me the same thing. The dealer claimed once I got the stage one done it should stop.

Yesterday I had the stage one done with the SE slip-ons, hi-flow air filter and carb re-jetting. After I picked up my bike I immediately noticed it still sneezes out the carb. It doesn't do it nearly as bad as before but still I don't think it should do it period, especially since it is a brand new bike with only 250 miles on it. I went back furious and complained and was told by the mechanic that it is common for all Sportsers to do this and that nothing could be done to prevent it except to have it converted to a 1200.

So first a stage one, now they want me to pay for a 1200 conversion. Yeah right.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for a Sportser to run like this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my 883C sportster back in december and it has done it from day one. I put a jet kit on and Vance & Hines pipes and it still does it. Everybody that I talk to says that all sportster do it. I am thinking abount getting an aftermarket carb to see if that will stop it.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Sporty carb farts...

If you guys went out and bought a new Coupe DeVille and it ran like that would it be acceptable?

I thought not!

Your Sportsters are suffering from an overly lean condition. You may have a vacuum leak at the carb to manifold or manifold to head. Try spraying some WD40 at the suspected leaking junction at an idle. If the RPMs go up you've got it.

You may need to go fatter with your jetting, shim the needle or back the idle mixture screw out 1/4 turn at a time to correct the problem. Test ride between adjustments.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, enlighten the wrench at the dealership as to which direction to proceed.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
R.E. sneeze

I did the stage 1 With S.E. slip ons & air filter And re-jeted the carb & after 2 hours of dyno time It's pretty much cleared up ,Once it's good and warmed up. It was well worth the time & money to me.
Larry

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mine does not sneeze. When I bought it I immediatley put on a pair of slip ons that had the baffles cut completley out. It sneezed like a *****. I put the originals back on and it quit. I then bought a set of the cycle shack slip ons on (with the baffles in) which made it alot louder and no sneezes. I imagine if I took the baffles out (I think I will today and see what happens) it would sneeze. :D

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I ride with all sorts of other harleys and they all snot and ball some just more than others ( Harley Farts ) The bikes with S&S carbs don't do it you figure it out. Even the best guys can't seem to shake it, as soon as the weather changes pop snot and fart!!!!!! Good Luck Meat

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Running too lean......richen it up half a turn at a time until it quits "sneezing" then work backwards, a quarter turn at a time, till it "sneezes" again, then richen it up a quarter turn.
And don't forget to do this while the bike is FULLY warmed up.
And the S&S (Super E on my Sporty)) burps and farts no matter what you do.
Flatslides.....only good for 1 thing...WFO

·
Registered
127 Posts
Go to the next sized pilot jet fi you can't get it to stop with the mixture screw. Meaning: if you end up 4 turns out on the mixture screw and it still sneezes, change the pilot jet to the next size and start back at 2.5 turns out on the mixture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a sporty with the same problem.

My sporty last year had the same problem. Intake gasket on forward cylinder had pinch. causing a intake leak. More air than fuel = lean. Was worse in cold air (cold night, cold pocket etc.) Fixed intake gasket, fixed problem.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
I've seen, heard and read that Sportys are prone to intake leaks. Try spraying water (flamables can go boom!) at the intake/cylinder flange. If it sputters and idles bad or stalls, then replace the seals and start from scratch with jetting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just put a Mikuni on it and everything will be okay.

You can fool around with the stock CV carb until you could have paid for the mikuni and the CV will still be a dangerous piece of sneezing junk.

The CV cannot be fixed 100%. You can get it to 90 or 95%, but not much better.

The Mikuni is just better in EVERY way. Better starts, smoother, quicker response, MORE power. Just lots better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts