V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I bought a new 2002 883 Sportster and it "sneezed" out the carb quite often. I've read that this is common and the dealer told me the same thing. The dealer claimed once I got the stage one done it should stop.

Yesterday I had the stage one done with the SE slip-ons, hi-flow air filter and carb re-jetting. After I picked up my bike I immediately noticed it still sneezes out the carb. It doesn't do it nearly as bad as before but still I don't think it should do it period, especially since it is a brand new bike with only 250 miles on it. I went back furious and complained and was told by the mechanic that it is common for all Sportsers to do this and that nothing could be done to prevent it except to have it converted to a 1200.

So first a stage one, now they want me to pay for a 1200 conversion. Yeah right.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for a Sportser to run like this?

·
old timer
516 Posts
Sounds like a lean misfire to me...I ain't Carnak the Great but I'd bet on a lean misfire. Maybe you have a small air leak or a piece of grit in one of the fuel channels in the carb. I wouldn't spend any more money with that dealer...LOL.

manny

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the quick responses. What I plan on doing is printing out this thread and showing it to the dealer if I get enough people to tell me that carb sneezing (especially after a stage one) isn't normal, and that it should be fixed, not ignored as they want me to do.

If I am wrong then I'll accept the piece of **** as is and just wished I hadn't dreamed of owning an American motorcycle or I can just enjoy saying I own a Harley in front of my friends who own *** bikes but I will be embarrassed to rev it up in front of them. The sneezing sort of ruins the classic Harley sound. :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Carb sneezin..

I have an 01 Deuce with carb and when I bought the
bike last year, it would sneeze at stoplights every once and
a while.. I called the dealer as I was putting my 500
miles on it and they told me that the factory pipes and restricted
airflow were contributing to that. Told me the same thing,
it will go away once the Stage 1 is done.
Well, I did the Stage 1 with a dynojet slider carb
kit and it really doesn't sneeze anymore. Maybe once
every 300 miles, I'll rev it up at a stoplight and she'll
throw a backfire trough the carb..

I think you should goto another HD dealer and have them inspect the
problem.. Tell that dealer you want their best carb mechanic to look at it, even if its gonna take a couple extra days..

I've found with my little experience with HD is that you can get a good mechanic or a not so experienced mechanic.. Luck of the draw, unless you find a mechanic you like and can request him/her when you're making furture service appointments.

Tell the new dealership that you're pissed.. Tell a white lie and say its been in to three or four different shops and nobody can get it right for you.. since its so new, your blood is boilin'!! That should hopefully light the fire to get that Sporty runnin' right.

I know its not normal, probably lean, like the guys above have said..
that dealership you're going to is either got an inexperienced machanic on it, or is tryin' to shaft you!
Good luck.. nickp.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Here ya go~

A friend had the same problem on the same bike. Took it to another Harley Dealer in the DC area, that dealer found an air leak. Fixed Leak, Sneeezing is almost never (once in the last 2000+ miles)...

John

·
Registered
629 Posts
IMHO, if it is brand new, and it doesn't run correctly, and the dealer says it needs an "upgrade", then they are full of ****!

I also wouldn't upgrade anything under warranty. I have seen way to many warranties voided for some stupid crap. And I would not buy an extended warranty.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
JFScheck said:
Here ya go~

A friend had the same problem on the same bike. Took it to another Harley Dealer in the DC area, that dealer found an air leak. Fixed Leak, Sneeezing is almost never (once in the last 2000+ miles)...

John
Hey John...what dealer was that...I'm in the Annapolis, Md area and have the same problem with my 02 Road King which has Sampsons, screaming eagle, etc...and it sneezes, spits, misses...whatever you want to call it too much for me...to the point I was calling it a piece of sh.., the dealer who did the 1000 mile (different from sales dealer) said jet looked too big...think I have a #45...pipes are real black and I burn 1 gallon more per tank then a stock bike...about 35 mpg...give or take.

I rode my buddies Hertiage with Sampsons and his runs great...same dealer...his Sampsons are the ground pounders, mine are silver bullet mufflers. Would there be that much difference from a softtail to a rubber mount? Help. joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you say you have 250 miles and they did all these changes .
Sounds to me that dealor needs to get his s**t right what about all that crap about breaking in the bike .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts