V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to harleys and would like to ask what these are.
A neighbor had this done? He says with carb slider kit and SE breather kit along with punching out the stock pipes.

I have a 2003 fxdwg coming in late FEB. or MARCH .

thanks for any assistance,

kyle

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You must mean the "Thunderslide kit" by Dyno Jet. This is a over price mod not realy needed for a 88" engine. In fact its not needed for a 95" eather. Your stock carb is fine, just re-jet is all it takes. You can go about this many ways, change the needle or the main jet, change the slow jet and adjust the air mix screw. Change the spring for easyer slide movement.

Personaly I port & polish the inlet area , polish the front of the slide, hone the inside of the slide to make it lighter (I can get .5 OZ off) shim the stock needle rejet W/ 195 main & 50 slow, make sure the A/C opening is a perfict match for the carb. Oh course I have a 95".

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really appreciate the info. given and will take this into consieration.

THANX,
KYLE

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Good day Kyle,
I agree with Kags on the overrated Thunderslider kit. Take a look at:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm
The main modifications I've done to my 88 motors and the 80 is detailed in their write ups. But the main thing is drilling out the plug that the MotorCompany protects the enrichment screw with and giving it more fuel. The next thing is a larger main and slow jet. Then replace the slider spring with the SE one. Also been some debate in this area but I drill out the slider. Also you need to replace the jet needle with the XLH one. Noticed you live in Illinois. Don't know what area but WildFire Harley in Villa Park has/had all of the modification parts that the website called for in stock. For about $20.00 or less you can accomplish great stuff on your own. But Kyle, all the modifications in the world will not make that much difference unless you look at you exhaust and air cleaner. Getting the air in and out is a big part of the formula. Good luck. Have made these mods on 10-15 different bikes and you CAN feel/see the difference.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Say Kyle, if you still interested in doing some mods to the carb, you might also check in at the Virtual Bar and Grill. http://bamph.com/rmh/carburetors.htm
But Kyle, be sure to buy a round for the gang when you enter...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts