V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 04 heritage and i put a screaming eagle tear drop air cleaner on and when i get up to 70 or faster (not that i need to go that fast but you know)^rolleyez^ i smell gas and it starts to lay over like it isnt getting enough gas if you look down from the top the element is sticking out the back of the chrome cover by about 1/2" is it that the air is passing by the element and pulling gas out of the carb and if so how to fix and last summer my wife and i went to a rally called stergis on the river in davenport iowa and it was about 85 to 90 degrees out and every time i took off from a stop light it would ping like it was over heating but i wasnt running it hard or anything just cruising and when i shut it off for about 1 min at a friends house waiting for him i started back up and it wanted to kick back like it was hot never had anything like that happened before what do you think

thanks

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
was the carb rejetted/tuned when you put the air cleaner on? i assume you have exhaust as well.....If so which kit and jets/needle did you go with..??

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jet

i have vance and hines long shots i have had problems with it since new it wanted to die at stops i drilled out the plug and adjusted it 2 to 3 turns out i cant really remember now and i rejetted it and then when i took it back for my first service they checked the jetting and said it was to much so they rejetted it and im not sure were i stand right now on jetting but it can sit there and idol for about 1 or 2 min and then it will just quit like someone shuts it off i will check jets
thanks

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the jet sizes i remember now that it was stalling out when i brought it back home so i rejetted it again and i came up with 195 main jet and 48 pilot jet and at one time i had 2 washers under the needle that was looking at plugs and how it ran at wide open throttle and how it idols the best but i still dont think it is right
thanks

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Yer running lean idle mate, and a very rich main.
Get yourself a DJ kit..(oh, I can just hear the groans!!haha!) You're shooting for 42-43 mpg
Start with:
45 slow, 180 main, needle on #3 clip from top.
Sort ourt your main first with wide open throttle (Interstate)
Once you're satisfied, tune into needle height. More lift = rich(er)
Adjust, adjust, adjust.
Without cams a 45 slow is in the ballpark. As little as 1/3 turns on the A/F screw will make a (ridable) difference.
On the outside chance you're not happy, (more than 3 turns, no response) re install # 48.

You'll feel it!

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks flyer i was thinking of the dj kit you said i was lean on the slow jet but isnt a 45 smaller than a 48 and i had a 180 and on up but with a smaller main jet in it at wot it was just dead and the plugs were white i was scared of burning it up it felt better with a 195 but mpg sucks.do you have any idea what would cause this from the day i brought it home brand new with out the new exhaust or air cleaner i can pull up to a stop light and it would just die i live 50 miles from the dealership and it died maybe 7 or 8 times and i had to run the choke on to keep it from doing it it was about 50 degrees out. and now to this day i can have it idoling it sounds good and then its like somone reaches over and just shuts it off the idol doesnt slow down before it does or anything like that it just shuts off when i have rode for a while and then stop the idol is higher then normal im a welder now for six years now but before that i was a auto mechanic for 10 years so im mechanicly incline but this is alittle different

thanks flyer

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Try 185/190 main,and drop the needle. Start at clip #2 from the top and work your way.It's needle height in relationship to the emulsion tube that will give or kill gas mileage.
Remove A/F screw and inspect for broken or bent tip.
And most important, check your float level. Everything starts from there.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Not for idling. vaccum isn't in the circuit.
Tear would make needle lift late or no lift at all.
A sure way to diagnose. One run on the dyno..forget torque & hp curves. Focus on A/F ratio.

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i pulled the plugs today they have about 1500 miles on them and i took it for a ride last sunday for about 20 miles and the plugs around the end of the threads on the flat is black the porcilen is still white like they havent been run yet and the little tab that it arches on is kind of a grayish look but down towards the end on the back side of it where it is attached to the thread area it is alittle tanish i hoped that you understand what i just said i would think with that many miles i would be getting more color than that on them one way or the other what do you think this is with the same jets in it 195 main 48 slow thanks

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Color on porcelain is subjective to gas additives.
Shiny porcelain=too hot (lean), dull white=ok heat range, sooty=running rich
looking at plugs too long'll drive you mad...! :)
The #195main, is that HD (Keihin) stock or DJ. The two types are NOT interchangeable.
try removing the 2 washers, run the needle on it's own.
I tell you what. I'm running an 02 garbage barge (EGlide), with cams (mild) and very open exhaust. My setup is, DJ kit, 48 slow, 195 main, needle clip on #3 from top and I'm getting 42mpg or better.
Re check your setup. Best if you start from the beggining or if you're not sure about the parts, pick up a tuner's kit or go with the DJ kit.
We're all here to help.
Vancouver Canada.

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks again flyer i only live 90 from jp cycles so im going to go pick up a dj kit this weekend and put it in it has been in the 40s and today it was 54 but tomarrow its suppose to rain and snow so it will be awhile before i can take it for a ride but when i do i will post here and tell you how it came out the drilling part of the dj kit what is it exactly do you drill

thanks agian

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey flyer i went to get the dj kit and i was talking to some guys and they asked if i had the baffles in the v&h long shots and i said i didnt and they said to put them back in and see what happened before i did anything so i went back home and did it and changed the main jet from a 195 to a 190 and i might go to a 185 and see what happens there and i drilled out the hole in the slide also . we had a nice day so i went
out for a ride and it was really good i picked up 20 mph at the top end . and the throttle responce is alot better so right now im really happy with it but we will see what happens when it gets hot out what it changes it was 58 degrees out when i went for a ride

thanks agian for all the help :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts