V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a stock 04 hearitage with v&h long shots and s.e. air claener . i had the baffles out and a 195 main jet and a 48 pilot jet with a 1 washer under the needle . it wouldnt go over 90 mph not that i need to go that fast but if i have a problem at high speed i think i might have a problem at low speed . as advised i put the baffles back in and put a 190 main jet in and took out the washer under the needle and i still have the 48 pilot jet in and have the idol screw at 2 1/2 turns out . it popped threw the carb 2 times the other day in about 5 five min. time after warm up . when i go threw town about 35 mph it wants to surge but outside of town it runs good it went from 90 mph to 110 mph .so i dont know what the surge is i thought of a possable vacume leak but there really isnt that many vacume lines to it. i checked the intake nuts and they are all tight. oh yeah i live in illinois and it was 58 the day i took it out for a ride . i dont know what to check now . hope someone can help thanks.:confused:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
have you checked the plugs, sounds rich on pilot, lean on needle and rich on main........Do a plug read, and let us know......oh just reread it stay with 190 and 48(46 may be better but harder to get). You may want to try 2 washers under needle an leave everything else alone. You may have to play with adjuster screw though

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TXCHOP said:
have you checked the plugs, sounds rich on pilot, lean on needle and rich on main........Do a plug read, and let us know......oh just reread it stay with 190 and 48(46 may be better but harder to get). You may want to try 2 washers under needle an leave everything else alone. You may have to play with adjuster screw though

would the needle or the adjuster screw make it surge?

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
You said it "popped" through the carb. Does the surge coincide with the pop? You may feel a momentary hesitation and a surge when the carb cough (that's what i call it) occurs.

My 03 Heritage is set-up as follows: 45 slow jet, 190 main - both are stock and an 88 sportster needle. It runs like a champ. Do a seach here for sportster needle and you find a lot of support for this set-up.

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
miles to go said:
You said it "popped" through the carb. Does the surge coincide with the pop? You may feel a momentary hesitation and a surge when the carb cough (that's what i call it) occurs.

My 03 Heritage is set-up as follows: 45 slow jet, 190 main - both are stock and an 88 sportster needle. It runs like a champ. Do a seach here for sportster needle and you find a lot of support for this set-up.

it pops when i pull away from stops when it does do it . it surges at a steady 35 mph i can feel it in the seat

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Sounds like you might have a leak. The rubber flange were the carb goes on the manifold can get a fold in it. Pop the carb off and put some lube on the rubber and make sure you get a good seal. The 48 is pretty big so I am guessing that the air leak is causing the lean pop.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
You may wanna check the forum for MoCo service bulletins, there's something in there about a ECM issue in the carbed '04's...

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
You may wanna check the forum for MoCo service bulletins, there's something in there about a ECM issue in the carbed '04's...

i service my own bike. so could i just call up and ask them if there is a service bulletin on the bike would they or should they check it out for me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Any chance the petcock vacum line is off or is leaking? Had a bud that had the same problem....

DLR

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DLRVelocity1 said:
Any chance the petcock vacum line is off or is leaking? Had a bud that had the same problem....

DLR

it is hooked up. it has already been replaced at 1,000 miles. it allowed the fuel to run when bike was shut off it has 6,800 on it now

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
harley04 said:
i service my own bike. so could i just call up and ask them if there is a service bulletin on the bike would they or should they check it out for me.
Provided that the bike is under warranty they must make the needed repairs, if it's a recall the must make the repairs under any circumstances...whether they will be honest with you is anyone's guess...the info is in the Service bulletins thread here on the forum, if it applies copy it and go armed! :nunu:

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what is it that it actually does. does it change timing or what .because this is a carb bike not a efi bike .

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Common occurence with cv carb. A slow jet\misadjusted air-fuel screw (jet too small and/or screw adjusted very lean), will induce surging while on steady throttle.
Also check your float level. Everything starts from there.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Harley04, It is supposed to optimize timing, but I was told by the tech that its real purpose is to make your Speedometer more accurate. After I had it updated my speedo was dead on. It is only for carbed bikes. You have to take it in to have the info downloaded to your ecm. ALso if you are running a Screaming Eagle or other ignition module disregard because it is only for the stock module. Also most dealers won't even know about it or update your old one unless you ask them to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts