V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new guy here. Quick opinion/question. I am looking around for a Softail, narrowed it down to a Standard (black only). I sent out some emails to dealers and I have some different options. I wanted to get on with fuel injection but none are available in my area (Va). The only ones I have found so far are in Fla. There are some available in Va but carb only. Any opinions? Should I head to Fla or is EFI not that big a deal on a bike? I've also been told by the 30 something dealers I talked to that its too late in the year to order a bike, it is now take what you can get. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
PHATBOY,
Thanks for the url, I have been to his web site in the past and he has an extensive topic library.
Anyway, I have a fuel injected RK coming soon and appreciate the tip on the article! I will hate to let the FXD go, but.......here is a pic of the FF special I have on order.
Sglide

·
Registered
43 Posts
sglide said:
PHATBOY,
Thanks for the url, I have been to his web site in the past and he has an extensive topic library.
Anyway, I have a fuel injected RK coming soon and appreciate the tip on the article! I will hate to let the FXD go, but.......here is a pic of the FF special I have on order.
Sglide
sglide,
That firefighter special sure looks sweet.My nieghbor is a firefighter here in N.Y.C. & he always talked to me about my bike and said someday he'd get one.Well on sept 11, 5 guys from his firehouse didn't make it.
He also ordered the fire fighter special for himself. Said it made him realize life is short,live it to your fullest. Good luck with your bike.
here is a picture I took on sept 10, you can see world trade center in the backround.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Good article. It has two errors in it, but as far as getting a basic idea they have no major effect.

It is however just one side of the story, one heavily based on the assumption of very well trained technicians, and a disregard for cost over the useful life of the bike. Or perhaps disregard for cost is the wrong way to put it, as EFI bikes represent a much higher profit potential for dealers and those capable of working on them.

Which system is better very much depends on the priorities of the person that will ride the bike as well as the intended use of the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Phatboy,
Thanks! You have a beautiful bike yourself!!! I used to eat at Hung Phat's in the city, I do not remember the location, your handle made me think of it. I used to make monthly trips in the early 80's with a friend who is no longer alive(or I would ask the location) . I live about 3 hours from you in Binghamton, NY. Maybe sometime we can hook up with "supersport" from this forum, he is in Hancock an hour away from me, towards you and we can meet you half way and go for a ride.

Would you do me a favor and let your friend know that his upstate brothers are with him and the rest of the fire department in prayers during this difficult time for FDNY, I am with local 1280 and we were told immediately to stand down and wait for orders from the International on what they wanted us to do, when terror struck on 9/11, the orders came and they were not what we wanted to hear, they needed us to stand down and stay put. I understood....... if they had every paid ff (and volunteer) in the northeast respond to ground zero, it would just have made things worse. It was hard being so close but not being able to help. Anyway tell him for me would you? The more I write..... the more we HAVE to get together and ride....... with your friend right along side of us.
Take care and stay safe!
great pic with the city background!

·
Registered
43 Posts
sglide,
I will tell my nieghbor.The ride sounds great, I have family in Monticello,NY that I visit.As soon as the weather breaks we'll set up a ride.
Hippo,
Fuel injection is new for the harley's yes, but they will be the fastest machines as soon as aftermarket catches up, power commander mod looks promising. as far as fuel injection goes the fastest cars, boats planes,or anything else that has a motor are all fuel injected.even corvettes used fuel injection in 1967.it's just more percise fuel delivered excatly when it's needed. Sorry you can't stop technology!:cool:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sorry you can't stop technology

No need to feel sorry. I ride a 02 FLTRI (with an I) and have been working with fuel injection since the early 70's, and fully intend to profit from it.

Perhaps there will be a opportunity to bring this topic back up somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
A carburetor can be something you find on a lawnmover or it can be something you find on a Winston Cup car.

EFI can be a pretty rudimentary system specifically designed and interfaced to monopolize a market, or it can be a 128 bit processor with feedback, adaptive and two way telemetry capabilities.
Guess which one we have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
every car made today has fuel injection,should people not buy a new car because they can't work on fuel injection?it's just technology.It definitely will get easier with time,the power commander already has maps people can download themselves on most performance mods,big bore,cams,exhaust.I just think it will be easier with diagnostic repair.yes most people won't work on it themselves,but I think thier the same peolpe who wouldn't fix thier own carb'd bike.Soon fuel injection will be the only thing available.Hippo either way you'll be in bisiness for a long time.what mods have you done to your 02 FLTRI? anyway to each there own.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I will agree that before long the EPA will force the last of the remaining carb bikes into extinction. But for now I wouldn't have a problem with either one but prefer the simplicity of the carb. The lack of fuel injection hasn't caused me any problems that I can't accept and it's cheaper from the start and in the long run to maintain. I don't see a major difference in power performance or fuel economy at this point and the CV carb actually does a fair job in higher altitudes.

People look at things differently but if present HD fuel injection had a vast increase in power, reliability, fuel mileage, dependability I can see the advantage. But for me it would be just something else that I would have to rely on the shop to adjust when I make engine modifications or spending more money on equipment to do it myself. I'm not knocking it......just don't see too much advantage right now.

I feel like any improvement in power performance that would be gained with FI can easily be compensated for with other mods and a carb with today's twin cam. Actually the 88A with carb verses an 88B with FI, the carb 88A can be hopped up to make much more power. As far as a very fast bike goes, with some people, half the fun is building the motor and tweeking carbs. It's kinda like the old muscle car days. Nothing like a big block 440 six pack thumping. By today's FI standard is it that fast? Probably not. But it is still appealing to those reminiscing about the simplicity and the absense of the cluster -fruck of electronic wiring and computer driven components. Cars like that are history. In most ways new ones are so much better. But sit a 2002 FI Camaro beside a pristine 1970 Cuda and I'll take the Cuda any day. Just the way I am I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts