V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't find quite what I needed.
I have a stock 88" twin cam in a 1999 wideglide, carbuerated.

I'm installing Andrews 26G gear drive cams as well as a Screaming Eagle air intake. I live and ride at 5000'+ elevation in Colorado.

With this combination what jet sizes would you recommend I install?

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
You have to read the color of the spark plugs to get the jetting correct. You want a light tan color which indicates the A/F ratio is right. There's too many variables to say that this size will work for you since it worked for me.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You have to read the color of the spark plugs to get the jetting correct. You want a light tan color which indicates the A/F ratio is right. There's too many variables to say that this size will work for you since it worked for me.
I've read and been told more times than I can count now that reading plugs isn't all that useful anymore due to the crap that is put in our "gasoline" anymore.

To the OP...have a look at CV Performance site. Grab their tuning kit, install it, and go from there. Assuming you're running an OEM carb, of course.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
This is a disclaimer I found at CV Performance:

Included jets are specific for each model and may not be substituted. Please order jets and components individually if your jetting needs require specific sizes not already included in kits.

A kit that might not have the correct size jets won't help him tune the carb. He will still have to read the plugs to get it dialed in, since those kits aren't plug & play and contain a few different size jets.

I installed a mikuni carb on my bike last month and used the plug color method and my bike runs great. So it's obvious whoever told you that doesn't know WTF they are talking about.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sure am diggin just how f-in snotty some f-ers are online these days.

1)I didn't post anything about if the OP would be able to "plug and play" the CV performance setup. I wrote "install it and go from there" didn't I? Yup. I sure did. That tuning kit from CV performance makes the stock carb function way better. It's an excellent place to start and costs a hell of a lot less than your Mik 42 did and will get an OEM carb performing just as well if not better. OF COURSE op will still need to run the right fuel delivery, dude. Again, never said he wouldn't

2)
I installed a mikuni carb on my bike last month and used the plug color method and my bike runs great. So it's obvious whoever told you that doesn't know WTF they are talking about.
The first part...good for you, bud. Glad to hear it! The second part, well...it's "obvious" that you don't know wtf you're talking about, either, if you're going to disregard the fact that changes in fuel additives have made plug reading less accurate than before. Like I said...I was given this info and have read it more than once in more than one location. I'm not gonna bother with a 'net search to prove my point.

To the OP...if you want to really get into it and start with some excellent, in-depth info, check out http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/readplugs.htm at least there you'll get more than "they don't know WTF they're talkin about."

Maybe you oughta read that link, too. It's pretty damn informative. I'm reading it right now, cuz I like learnin **** not jumpin down people's throats online like they called my mama a bad name or somethin.

shew!

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
So what you're saying is you have no intention to help him jet his carb. You just told him to get the kit and figure it out for himself. Wow that's really helpful. If he shouldn't read the plugs how will he get his motor dialed in since it doesn't have a computer?

I told the guy how to do it, and I said the people that gave you that info didn't know what they are talking about, not the OP you clown.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What gets ya is the 5000 ft. Has the carb been jetted for that elevation already? Be honest I'm at a loss for that one, lol
I also noted you didn't mention any pipe in the mix, is this true?

Nightrider site is awsome for the standard up grade, which in your case would be the needle replacement, for the most part.

I really think in a sea level cituation the main would be alrite and a 1/4 to 1/3 out on the air fuel mixture screw would put you to close to do anything from there.
Night rider will show you how to adjust the Air/fuel mixture setting from there, but thats what you want to start with, the rest runs rich from the factory already so don't sweat that to much you will be ok.
Once you dial her in you will be very comfortable on what your doing then you will have to do it some more if you opt for a pipe.

Now the elevation part. I do alot of riding in the mountains, and she does tend to buck like a mule at times. I tried all kinds of things there but what I realy found that worked for me was a Boeyson twin shot accellerator pump and an X-wing, really, really was a show stopper there works wonderfull.
The CV Performance poeple also sell such things for cheaper but I don't know how they fair, I'm sure it's about the same tho. Boeyson also has a 35% off code if you go that route.
But either way don't get to wierd on modding the carb rite now just adjust the low circuit, get her running and then just do small adjustments from there, and never do two at one time it will get you all out of wack....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts