V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 04 Heritage that is carbed. I live in Fla now and am planning a trip to the NC,GA and Tn. mtns in the spring. My question is, at what altitudes will my bike start to run like crap? I have a K&N Stage 1 air , SE'II slip ons with a carb rejet. Thanks

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You won't have any trouble in the Smokies assuming the carb is not jetted rich. I generally don't see much of a change in the carb performance until elevation gets up to 9-10,000 feet, maybe some slight power loss. At the top of Pikes Peak now, there is a definite change.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Living at 8800ft, I ride between 5,000 and 11,000 ft. with no noticeable performance degradation. I think you'll be fine in the Smokies. H-D CV (Constant Velocity) carbs handle altitude change quite well. The carb on the Deuce was working so well at altitude, I specifically ordered a carbed Heritage.

·
Registered
822 Posts
sfarson said:
Living at 8800ft, I ride between 5,000 and 11,000 ft. with no noticeable performance degradation. I think you'll be fine in the Smokies. H-D CV (Constant Velocity) carbs handle altitude change quite well. The carb on the Deuce was working so well at altitude, I specifically ordered a carbed Heritage.

Ditto with what sfarson says. I live in Colorado as well and I never notice a problem with the carb in the altitudes. I've ridden my bike to the west coast this past summer with 50lbs of gear and a passenger and didn't have any problems. It makes no difference if you have fuel injection or a carb, you're gonna lose power when you go up in altitude.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Maxum96 said:
Ditto with what sfarson says. I live in Colorado as well and I never notice a problem with the carb in the altitudes. I've ridden my bike to the west coast this past summer with 50lbs of gear and a passenger and didn't have any problems. It makes no difference if you have fuel injection or a carb, you're gonna lose power when you go up in altitude.

OMG ,, finally someone posts on this subject that really understands what a CV carb does ......bless you. I get so tired of people who really have no clue about density altitude and internal combustion engines, claiming that their EFI bike doesnt give up HP as they go up the mountain ......rat

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I had my 96 Heritage Classic w/S&S Super E and K&N filter to the top of Pike's Peak twice, Wolf Creek Pass, Million Dollar highway and Monarch Pass this summer and had no problems with the engine running. Just have to downshift a little more and keep the rpm's up. I actually got a little better mpg than I do running in OK. Pulled the plugs when I was out there and no sign of fouling.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
ratt said:
OMG ,, finally someone posts on this subject that really understands what a CV carb does ......bless you. I get so tired of people who really have no clue about density altitude and internal combustion engines, claiming that their EFI bike doesnt give up HP as they go up the mountain ......rat
You are correct. I have an efi bike and within 45 min. of my house will
notice a considerable loss in power. 4500' to 9000'. When I get near sea
level there is a considerable gain. Those that don't notice a difference
aren't paying attention. Has a little bit to do with available oxygen. ;)
Friends with CV carb bikes are similar. They're not as good as efi bikes
but they're definitley not bad.
heritage43- if you have a properly tuned bike you won't have any problems at higher altitudes.
Ratt- Now get back to the ACLU thread.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
ratt said:
I've been over Monitor Pass, Kit Carson Pass and other similar ones here in California with a bike that has a CV carburetor. At 10,000 feet there is a noticeable loss of power, but the CV will keep the mixture fairly constant so that it doesn't choke out.

The CV design is the best carburetor ever on a motorcycle. The Japanese used them to a great extent, too before they went to almost exclusively fuel injection on most models now....Harley will be there pretty soon, too.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
newultraclassic said:
I've been over Monitor Pass, Kit Carson Pass and other similar ones here in California with a bike that has a CV carburetor. At 10,000 feet there is a noticeable loss of power, but the CV will keep the mixture fairly constant so that it doesn't choke out.

The CV design is the best carburetor ever on a motorcycle. The Japanese used them to a great extent, too before they went to almost exclusively fuel injection on most models now....Harley will be there pretty soon, too.

Meet you for a beer on or near one of those passes some [email protected]:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
nvsteve said:
Meet you for a beer on or near one of those passes some [email protected]:
Good idea. That area is fascinating. I live close to Jackson, California and, 9 out ot 10 of my rides go up over 88 through the passes and on to 395 and other ponts of interest. You can ride all day in that area and see some great scenery.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Good idea. That area is fascinating. I live close to Jackson, California and, 9 out ot 10 of my rides go up over 88 through the passes and on to 395 and other ponts of interest. You can ride all day in that area and see some great scenery.

:)
A buddy of mine from the bay area and I meet once or twice a year in Jackson and ride all over the Gold Country.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Heads up to anyone riding on 395 fill up in Carson City or Gardnerville NV if coming from the North, or Bishop CA if from the South as regular grade gas in Bridgeport is still at $2.99 !!!!! per at the cheaper station in town, is at $2.39 in Walker 30 miles North. At this writing 12/15/05

23103 it like it's 10851 :whistle:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Tom Rickner said:
Heads up to anyone riding on 395 fill up in Carson City or Gardnerville NV if coming from the North, or Bishop CA if from the South as regular grade gas in Bridgeport is still at $2.99 !!!!! per at the cheaper station in town, is at $2.39 in Walker 30 miles North. At this writing 12/15/05

23103 it like it's 10851 :whistle:
$2.39???? That price just about makes ya wanna pour out what's in your tank just so you can buy more......
:wootdnc:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts