V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the lucky owner of a 2001 Roadking with: Vance & Hines Dresser Duals + Oval Slip-ons, SE (29745-00A) Aircleaner, SE 95 Big Bore + Flat Top Pistons, SE Performance Heads + 203 Cams, a power commander and a Stock EFI (Magneti Marelli). The bike is tuned and a dynorun shows 90HP and 108 lb-ft torque. Two questions:

1. The EFI isn't running smooth and never ran smooth, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a carb. Can/should I use a standard CV carb or do I need a bigger one? Which one do you recommend?

2. I would like maximum torque. How do I get that? Should I change the cams and if so which ones to choose? Or should I change something very different?

Thanks!​

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't see how you COULD get much more torque out of your build with a cam swap and carb. The 203's seem to be doing the job nicely with 108 fpt, and efi is always going to produce the best torque all aroung if you tune it properly. I'd invest in a Thunder Max with auto-tune and maybe have one of the efi specialty shops modify you throttle body?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Those are great numbers for that build. Ride it.

·
MaxHeadflow
1,344 Posts
Not sure if it's increase the TQ but if you are having poor driavablilty, I'd probably change to carb like you are thinking and use the 44cv. I'd keep it the way it is until it needs tensioners then probably go with a woods 6 gear cam. You could go higher lift and possibly eariler intake close you'd probably get added valvetrain noise.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
That cam that your using bloats the cylinders and is designed to do that for poor or average flowing heads. If your heads have not been flow tested for velocity and cfms it's like a crap shoot picking the right cam. We can reduce this to a trap shoot with the RR525 cam which will give the best linear power and low end torque that we have seen with little or no head work. It's a lot of work switching to a carb, I would do the cam and research the carb conversion carefully before deciding. The R&R guys can walk you through the parts and labor, they have done several.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Switching the MM to carb is not alot of work or expense! I have great respect for the King of Cubes and his overall knowledge but I switched out my MM for a SE/CV44 and it was without question the greatest thing I ever did for that bike. Takes 3-4 hours at most and cost was a little over $600 with all new parts including SE/CV 44 and DTT adjustable ignition. I highly reccomend this if you are having driveability problems, I spent thousands and years of aggrivation trying to get that MM to work right and it just required constant attention. Once I had the carb and ignition set, I was done and rode carefree with no issues....
A lot of people on here who have done this conversion and every single one loves it, use the search....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow guys, thanks for the replies.
Different advise is always confusing, so I'll wait a while for some more replies.

Thanks!
Michael.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Runnig Smooth???

Running smooth can mean different thing to different people. Is their an idle or off idle spudder? Does it surge or pop? Your numbers look smokin for a bike thats not running smooth:huh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When hot, it runs OK, except for the occasional hickups and backfires. Somethimes even on a roundabout at slow speeds. Very irritating. When cold it runs bad. Bad idle. Won't run without me using the gas, even at 1200rpm. So thats why I'm considering other option.

Now I tyhink of it, I didn't try anything with the ignition. Could this be a any help? Any aftermarket appliance...?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
IWIZARD said:
When hot, it runs OK, except for the occasional hickups and backfires. Somethimes even on a roundabout at slow speeds. Very irritating. When cold it runs bad. Bad idle. Won't run without me using the gas, even at 1200rpm. So thats why I'm considering other option.

Now I tyhink of it, I didn't try anything with the ignition. Could this be a any help? Any aftermarket appliance...?
That's the MM/EFI! If you are going to keep it, better learn to keep it running cuz you'll be messing with it constantly! Do yourself a favor and get a carb! Cheapest most reliable, easiest solution....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts