V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed a stage .5 mod on my 1200 XLH a few months ago.
(SE air cleaner, 45 and 180 jets, punched out baffles on HD slip ons)
Initially, I did not adjust the idle mixture; however, it appeared that I was running too lean (lots of carb farts). I readjusted the idle mixture about 2 1/2 turns from the closed position with nice results. No more farts and nice throttle response. I just checked the plugs after about 250 miles and the plugs indicate that I am running too rich (black soot present). I am planning to change plugs today and reset the idle mixture about 1/4 turn. Does it sound like I am on the right track? How long do you run before you can recheck the plugs ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Getting an accurate plug reading is a little more complicated. If you just pulled into the garage and checked the plugs you aren't going to get a accurate reading. forget the plug reading for now. Turn the mixture out until the bike starts to stumbel. The turn it in until it starts to stumble. Then go back to the middle and thats where you should be. Carb adjustments are much more complicated than people think if you don't know what your doing. It's better to be on the rich side than lean. I've done enough CV and S&S carbs that I get a more accurate adjustment by seat of the pants.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Looking at the plugs will in fact give you a good ball park. Look at a set of new plugs after you run them for what ever your trying to adjust works even better. If you pull the plugs after the bike has been ideling you will read the slow jet. Pull the plugs after you hit the kill switch running up to say 70 MPH in 4th and you will read the main. I run a dyno-jet 170 main in my Sporty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts