V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new gas prices thread going so I was wondering what your mileage is for the car/truck you have.
Are you getting 8 mpg with your 4X4 Chevy dually 454 work commuter or if it's from your POS Susuki super high milage have to drive it for good MPG car.
Just wondering.

I have a 2007 Ford Ranger X-Cab 2WD 3.0 V6 5 speed stick and I get a constant 23 mixed city highway and a best of 25 all highway.
I've reprogrammed it, added a 20% under drive pulley, cold air intake, on and on.
Thought this kind of thread might help someone wanting to get better MPG or are looking for something else.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I've got a 2000 s-10 (company owned) thats my daily driver. its a 4.3 liter that gets 18-21 mpg. I just last week purchased a gently used dodge ram 2500 (99 model with a 5.7l iter 360) it got 11.7 with the first milage check ....and some of that was pretty heavy footed....1st tank and all. I've since added a k&n cold air intake, and she's going to the shop tomorrow for a hi flow cat and flowmaster.
Have thought about the underdrives.....still studying on brands.
I'm dang glad i don't have to drive this thing 80 miles a day though!!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
05 GMC 2500HD 4X4 stock Duramax 19.5 city and 22.5 highway. 25 if I go long and light on it.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
My F-150 gets about 16 on a good day but most of my miles are in a 2000 BMW 3 series coupe. It's a 5 speed, just turned 124,000 miles and never goes much below 25 mpg for my some stop and go, some 45 mph commute and gets a solid 30-32 on the highway. It doesn't seem to care if I drive 60 or 80 mph.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
vindex1963 said:
There is a new gas prices thread going so I was wondering what your mileage is for the car/truck you have.
Are you getting 8 mpg with your 4X4 Chevy dually 454 work commuter or if it's from your POS Susuki super high milage have to drive it for good MPG car.
Just wondering.

I have a 2007 Ford Ranger X-Cab 2WD 3.0 V6 5 speed stick and I get a constant 23 mixed city highway and a best of 25 all highway.
I've reprogrammed it, added a 20% under drive pulley, cold air intake, on and on.
Thought this kind of thread might help someone wanting to get better MPG or are looking for something else.
My '91 suburban with a 454 gets around 11 mpg on the highway, but it rarely gets that far. I might drive it 300mi a month these days. it is great when you want to take 7 people somewhere, or put a big load in it. It is set up for heavy trailering, but I have never used it that way. People talk sh!t about it, but for what I do in it, it doesn't really matter. I may take 5 of us on a family trip to Arizona in feb, 5 people in comfort with baggage @ 11 mpg, doesn't sound too bad............

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
My Chevrolet Malibu with a 3.1 liter V-6 gets about 19 MPG in DC area commuting. My Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.3 liter gets about 13.5 MPG in the same traffic. I have gotten 31 MPG in the Malibu on the highway using the cruise control. The Silverado can get 17.5 to 18 MPG on the highway, unless I am towing the trailer. With the trailer loaded with two bikes, I have gotten as low as 11 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI (diesel). It gets 48 mpg on the highway, and 43 in the city. Air conditioning on or not. Just turned 220,000 miles on it. Really helps as I drive 120 miles+ everyday. Also have an Expedition (for the family), and the more it can sit in the driveway, the better.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 2007 Silverado gets 17.5 MPG. That is why, after 11 months, it only has 5300 miles on it. At 6 weeks, my new EGClassic has 3700 miles.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My 06 Hummer H2 gets 12-14 on the highway. I can shake as poor a 10 out of it if I keep mashing the pedal on it though.
Best it has ever got was 17.5 (no lie) but, this was going from 10,000' down to sea level in a span of about 150 miles. Just set the cruise at 60 mph and steer.
Very Boring.:yawn:
My daily driver is a Fiat Strada Adventure Pick up. I think it gets about 40 mpg. It gets over 10 miles to the litre of gas.
Just about the same as the Road Glide.:hmmm:

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
'99 Dodge Quad Cab, long bed, SLT, 4X4, 5 spd, 4.10 gears, 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel (7500 lbs)...17-19 mpg city depending on volume control :D...as high as 23 mpg highway below 70 mph...

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Ranger, 15/20. It's geared much too low, which is good for pulling stumps but lousy for mileage. I will give it credit for being able to handle just about any snowfall. Once it gets dropped into 4x it's virtually un-stuck-able. Which is a good thing around here. But all things being equal, when this thing goes out to pasture I"ll be looking for something with about 100mpg.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
My 07 Silverado with a 5.3 gets 16.5 average combined. On the hwy, it will get 20 with the cruise set and a/c on.
But, switch over to E85, and watch out. The best it does on corn liqour is 13.8. I can understand it is better for the environment, but being only 30 cents cheaper, you sure lose your shirt if you run it all the time.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I have a 2006 Ford F-150 4x4 and the 5.4L motor. My driving is mostly suburban. I'm averaging 14.5 mpg. That cost me about 80 bucks per week to get to work and back. :nope:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
DJW said:
Ranger, 15/20. It's geared much too low, which is good for pulling stumps but lousy for mileage. I will give it credit for being able to handle just about any snowfall. Once it gets dropped into 4x it's virtually un-stuck-able. Which is a good thing around here. But all things being equal, when this thing goes out to pasture I"ll be looking for something with about 100mpg.
Hot air balloon should work...:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
DJW said:
I agree 99 Ranger 4.0L 17/20 on a good day.Has anyone herd what the new Tundra crewmaxes are getting?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4, 13mpg on a good day, could get better if I didn't have oversize tires on it :D. I think it's time to pull my 2.3L Ranger out of retirement and rebuild the motor. Used to get 25+ around town...

·
Registered
394 Posts
1969 fullsize P/U. 350-V8 (mild cam) & 33" tall tires. I'm getting about 14MPG, uphill, down hill, with the wind, against the wind. it doesn't really matter. Once I lock in the front axle, it goes down to about 11MPG. running the X-fer doesn't affect the MPG.

I pulled a 1968 P/U home from Boston, MD a couple years ago, and still got 11MPG for the trip home...

·
Registered
179 Posts
  • '85 F-150 300 inch Straight 6 - 10mpg
  • '94 LaSabre 3.8L V-6 - 20mpg
  • '00 Plymouth Grand Caravan, 3.3L V-6 - 16mpg
I run the old beaters in the winter and on days I can't ride to work.

OL runs the grocery getter van, and she loves it!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I drive a 2007 Subaru Impreza wagon with a 2.5 Boxer engine. Gotta have 4 wheel or all wheel drive in at least one rig here during winter months. Literature says it gets 28 around town and 32 highway but I am getting a consistant 34-35 with it. Most of my Vermont driving is on long 50mph roads so it's like driving highway 90% of the time.

My wife has a 2005 Corolla that does almost as good as my bike. It gets 40 mph and that's the gods honest truth. Unbelieveable car. My friend has a Prius Hybrid and thats about what it gets 40-42 best case. I guess the only true benefit of the Prius over the Corolla is in emissions and not having to support Hugo ol Boy!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts