V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with using a Z rated car tire on the back of a motorcycle. I have seen nothing about any such thing on this site. A buddy of mine who rides a rice burner says it is all over the Honda forum and sounds like common practice for those who want really long tire life. Seems like the designs are so radically different that I would fear contol and traction would be severely sacrificed. Although it's his life, I keep telling him a little more tire life is not worth his life. How do I knock some sense in him. Need some contrary opinions if anyone has any experience. Thanks

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
simjue said:
Anyone familiar with using a Z rated car tire on the back of a motorcycle. I have seen nothing about any such thing on this site. A buddy of mine who rides a rice burner says it is all over the Honda forum and sounds like common practice for those who want really long tire life. Seems like the designs are so radically different that I would fear contol and traction would be severely sacrificed. Although it's his life, I keep telling him a little more tire life is not worth his life. How do I knock some sense in him. Need some contrary opinions if anyone has any experience. Thanks
I just posted these pics a day ago... http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65677
But this is the rear tire....

·
Alienated from the world
15 Posts
Sounds interesting....

To me it sounds like the whole synthetic oil vs non-synthetic oil stories of yester years......
You never know unless you have tried it (I won't try it)

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Hum-m-m-m!!! Doesn't look that bad but I've been told for years, by supposed tire experts, that the windings in automotive tires are differently from motorcycles tires. The sidewalls are the real problem and would not stand any rolling twisties, i.e. the "Tail". ????

But I do have to agree the Boss bike run "Z" rated automotive tires. Looked at 'em at Sturgis this year when I took a test ride. But I'd really hate to even think about riding a Boss thru the "Tail". Had a blast running the "Tail" on my LowRider but on a Boss after riding one.....don't think so.

o~\o

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
turning would definitely be the biggest concern. you would definitely have a strong upper body after riding that for a while. its enough to wear the common man out after only a few turns. it would be a ball on the straight a ways, though:chopper:

car tires are built differently in many aspects compared to bike tires. compounds and radiused edges are only part of it. i would do some serious fact finding before attempting this feat.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Hoss's run the Avon 230 -15 Motorcycle tire rear and the 130/90 16 up front and have been since the tire came out. Prior they used auto tires..

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
Hoss's run the Avon 230 -15 Motorcycle tire rear and the 130/90 16 up front and have been since the tire came out. Prior they used auto tires..
I stand corrected. :spank: After reading your post I called my buddy that took the test ride with me and he told me it was an older Boss that we were looking at and not the new ones. The new ones DO run AVon shoes.

o~\o

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Used to know lots of guys that had a VW tire on the back of their bikes in the 70's...they were cheap and easy to come by...good as any other bias-ply tire of the era...

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Used to know lots of guys that had a VW tire on the back of their bikes in the 70's...they were cheap and easy to come by...good as any other bias-ply tire of the era...
We use to use Model-A type tires for the front tire all the time back in the 50's and 60's. Even heard of some guys running 'em on the back. BUT back there motorcycle tires were crap and I do mean CRAP. The engineering that's gone into motorcycle tires and tires in general over the past 15-20 years is something else.

o~\o

1 - 16 of 16 Posts