V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to use some Pennzoil 20-50 in my twin-cam in a pinch. I'm changing it out asap...but I've heard such mixed reviews on using regular oil vs. bike oil. I know it will breakdown quickly (it was just temporary anyway), but will it still circulate the engine properly, or is it the worst thing? My bike still sounded, rode, and warmed up alright. I've been using HD oil until then...Any comments?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
BultacoMatt said:
I had to use some Pennzoil 20-50 in my twin-cam in a pinch.
In a pinch, you can use oil meant for diesels.

If the automobile oil was swapped out asap, I doubt you did any harm.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It won't hurt a thing but I wonder why you had to add oil in the first place.
Often guys get anal retentive about checking their oil and more often than not end up overfilling it.
Never check the oil when it's a cold engine with a Harley unless it's just to make sure it has some.
My TC engine has gone 105,000 miles with 65,000 on a 95'' kit and I have never added oil between changes.
I run dino oil and change it every 2500 miles.
Y2K:beer:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am sure this was dicussed before, But I can not find any information on "What Is the difference between Automobile oil and Motorcycle oil"? I know there was some kind of report informing that they are pretty much the same! Is this true?
Goerge, would you have any information on this?

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
When was the last time you heard of an oil related engine failure? My guess is never. That is because it doesn't really matter what oil you use as long as you use something. Pick your poison and ride with peace of mind.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used castrol 20/50 automobile and I've had no problems. My springer had 35000 miles when I sold it and my FXDWG3 has 17500 on it with the 95" kit and no problems with it.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
newultraclassic;
Mobil1 15w-50 is excellent. Been using it for years
Yep, That is what I use in my bikes, car oil. Available nation wide even in the smallest little towns. Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
ahill said:
I am sure this was dicussed before, But I can not find any information on "What Is the difference between Automobile oil and Motorcycle oil"? I know there was some kind of report informing that they are pretty much the same! Is this true?
Goerge, would you have any information on this?
There is several differences, but in a harley engine you can get by with nearly any oil in the crankcase. This is not necessarily true with rice burners that use a common sump for the engine, tranny, and clutch. If you want to become more educated concerning motorcycle oils go to my website and click on the motorcycle section white paper study amsoil had conducted. Years ago there wasn't much difference at all until the EPA got involved with some of the additives that oils were using in general. As these additives were being eliminated and substitued in automotive oils this caused some problems for motorcycle wet clutches. So over the last 5 years or so there has been a wider difference in the additive package between the two. So like I said you can get by with automotive oil in your harley's crankcase, but I wouldn't make that statement about the primary case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts