V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been using my RK for commuting to work in the SF Bay area for the last 9 months. It’s about 400 miles per week in heavy traffic. I use my car on the days it rains and I’ve noticed that it’s increasing hard to go back to my car. It's such a pleasure to ride my RK, it’s easily to maneuver through traffic and even back-ups from accidents are no problem. I seldom split lanes, but do when necessary. I ride in the car pool lane and the bridge toll is ½ price. It’s really hard going back to the car. I no longer have the patience to just sit in traffic in the car.

I don’t know how anyone can put up a Harley for the winter, I’d go crazy.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
I’ve been using my RK for commuting to work in the SF Bay area for the last 9 months. It’s about 400 miles per week in heavy traffic. I use my car on the days it rains and I’ve noticed that it’s increasing hard to go back to my car. It's such a pleasure to ride my RK, it’s easily to maneuver through traffic and even back-ups from accidents are no problem. I seldom split lanes, but do when necessary. I ride in the car pool lane and the bridge toll is ½ price. It’s really hard going back to the car. I no longer have the patience to just sit in traffic in the car.

That's easy to say with weather like we've been having this Winter ;)

It's so nice today, I was out on my mountain bike thinking it felt quite a bit more like early May than it did January...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without the commute I'd be a weekend rider too.
I polish my bide a couple times a week, more if the roads are wet.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I come at it from a whole different perspective:

Takes about 30 min. to check tire pressure, suspension pressure, oil levels, set out the stuff I need to pack along -- iPod, wallet, keys, cell-phone, sunglasses, tinted/clear face shield.

Then dressed -- underwear, boots, polar fleece, gloves, balaclava, rain-gear, heated gear, leathers, boots, gloves, pack a lunch (diabetic and need balanced food).

Roll it out, tune in the MP3, crank it up, head to the station to top off the tank . . .

I don't think I've ever been on a ride that wasn't at least 200 miles.

The other vehicles are a John Deere and a Ford Ranger 4 WD.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well unfortunetly some riders have no choice where winters are harsh unlike CA. I don't store my bike, but there ae days here in CO when it's either snowing and or below freezing where riding isn't a option… So any sunny day I can get during the winter I get out and ride...

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
If you guys had a car like mine you wouldn't mind driving it. :woohoo:

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
It isn't the red paint that makes it fun to drive. It's the 400 horses under the hood with the correct wheels being driven.

For the most part riding on the street is boring anyway. Power sliding the corners while kicking up a rooster tail, climbing steep hills, flying over the jumps and doing long wheelies is 100 times more fun!

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I'd still be on welfare if I sold my G8 and my harley and took the bus to work. :dh:

It's not based on what you own, it's based on what you earn. :spank:

I just did my federal taxes and I had $236 withheld and I get back a $3429 refund.

I just love this country! :clap:

Maybe I'll go out and buy a new harley. :whistle:

On second thought, I need a new dirt bike more than a new harley. It's like 28 years old....

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I'd still be on welfare if I sold my G8 and my harley and took the bus to work. :dh:

It's not based on what you own, it's based on what you earn. :spank:

I just did my federal taxes and I had $236 withheld and I get back a $3429 refund.

I just love this country! :clap:

Maybe I'll go out and buy a new harley. :whistle:

On second thought, I need a new dirt bike more than a new harley. It's like 28 years old....
LMAO Just doggin ya ,,,,,, After all you had almost 150 post's on the ROCK BOTTOM THREAD :redrolf:
No Worries here I just hate milker's

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
You'll be getting medicare and social security someday so you'll be a milker too. :whisper:

And don't tell me you'll turn it down because I know better. :coffee:

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Yep and I pay for medicaid too, it's right there on my paycheck stub.

Got anything else you want to cry about?

·
Banned
6,957 Posts

You have from a scenic standpoint one of the best commutes in the country. Your commute south to San Francisco takes you over the Waldo Grade with the spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge each day. Anyone who gets to ride the Waldo each day on an RK is leading a blessed life.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Bikes

I don't think I have driven a cage more than a dozen times in the last 6 years. I feel more comfortable on the bike when out on the road. If the cargo needs are more than I can carry, my wife drives the truck when we go. The scenery here is not always the best and the roads are clogged with minivans, mothers and kids until you get out of town, but that is just another price to pay to be out on the scooter. Extreme rain or snow does cause me to be a passenger with my wife driving a cage. I suppose each to their own is fair. :beer:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
If I didn't have to pick up my daughter on the way home from work I'd ride pretty much everyday too...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have from a scenic standpoint one of the best commutes in the country. Your commute south to San Francisco takes you over the Waldo Grade with the spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge each day. Anyone who gets to ride the Waldo each day on an RK is leading a blessed life.
I cross the Richmond bridge, down past Berkeley, Oakland and then through the tube to Alameda where I work. it's a crowded, but beautiful commute. Great views from the bridge, but it can be a little windy at times.

Wind or not, any day I ride the Harkey is a good day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts