V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anybody please help and give me some advice on how to get the ns rear engine mounting bolt in its hole on a 96 evo with delkron cases in an evo frame, can't get it in from the top of the hole because of the engine fins and can't get it in from underneath because of the crankcase casting, there is only enough clearance for a short bolt approx 40mm far short of the 80mm bolt needed. I am stumped,

:thanks: Dunk

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
well. lift the engine and tilt it, until the bolt drops through the case,, then re-set the engine in place and let the bolt drop through the hole in the engine..

the bolt is 3/8 " by about 3 inches or so,, there is usually a nut plate that goes on the bottom,,, allowing the top bolt to be tightened without a second wrench underneath..40mm isnt nearly long enough for a rear bolt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi TT if you have a look at a delkron case you will see that you can’t even put the correct size bolt through the rear mounting lug with the engine out because the lug itself measures 55mm thick and the frame bracket measures 10mm then you need 10mm of exposed thread to put a nut on and finally the bolt head measures about 10mm, total 85mm, the space between the top of the lug to the rear cylinder fins is about 55mm thanks Dunk

·
Super Moderator
19,404 Posts
If by 96 you mean inches and not year, the aftermarket jugs are your problem.

That's why you see big bore delkron cases with the rear bolts left in.

Rican enginering fix is to use studs with nuts on both ends. You still might need to do some trimming to get it in. Me, I'd lift the jug and drop the correct bolts in.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I have Delkron cases on my 88" Evo. It's been awhile but I do recall it being a PITA. Honestly can't remember what we did..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As per my original post, the bolt won’t go in from the bottom because of the crank case joining screw casting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts