V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Don't laugh...I had a weird rattle that would come and go at around the same rpm. Drove me nuts for a week or so before I figured out it was my gas cap ratcheting mechanism.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Are the fuel tank mounts tight?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2010 Street Glide just recently I have started to hear what sounds like something is rattling when I take off. That sounds like it is coming from the motor area. It only happens when I am just starting to roll disengaging the clutch and slowly roll on the throttle and then it seems to go away.
I have checked things like heatshields, mufflers and nothing in the saddlebags that would rattle like that. Sounds like loose change rattling.
Any suggestions on what to check?
Only recent work done was a rocker box gasket leak at the dealer under extended warranty about 2000km ago.
I had a similar noise that bugged me for awhile. It started to get more noticable, turned out to be my inner race bearing. If you plan to take the clutch apart you should check it. My bike was an 2009 96ci. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2010 Street Glide just recently I have started to hear what sounds like something is rattling when I take off. That sounds like it is coming from the motor area. It only happens when I am just starting to roll disengaging the clutch and slowly roll on the throttle and then it seems to go away.
I have checked things like heatshields, mufflers and nothing in the saddlebags that would rattle like that. Sounds like loose change rattling.
Only recent work done was a rocker box gasket leak at the dealer under extended warranty about 2000km ago.
Twin Cams are known to have rocker bolts rattle. What happens is the bolt is tight when engine is cold, but when bolt is heated it elongates and the rocker is allowed to against the bolt. If you search Ebay there are kits sold to sleeve the bolts so they don't rattle. Under load you may hear less noise.

"For Harley Davidson Rocker Lockers Kit Twin Cam ~ End Ticking Noise US STOCK"

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Chased a rattle down that couldn't locate over a lot of rides., one day shifter linkage broke on me, after getting a new one and popping it on a few rides in and I noticed no more rattle.

Reactions: Jordan1200

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check running board frame mounts. I thought the noise on mine was the shifter rattling and it turned out it was the front frame mount for the board!

·
Registered
250 Posts
A 2010 with how many miles? Check your motor mounts, the link that runs from the frame to the top of the head, look at any place that something moving/ vibrating/ shaking is close to something that doesn't.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts