V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2010 Street Glide just recently I have started to hear what sounds like something is rattling when I take off. That sounds like it is coming from the motor area. It only happens when I am just starting to roll disengaging the clutch and slowly roll on the throttle and then it seems to go away.
I have checked things like heatshields, mufflers and nothing in the saddlebags that would rattle like that. Sounds like loose change rattling.
Any suggestions on what to check?
Only recent work done was a rocker box gasket leak at the dealer under extended warranty about 2000km ago.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
What kind of bike is it? Where does the rattle sound like it's coming from?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry should have put that in the call. Just updated it.
2010 Street glide sounds like it is coming from the motor area but had to tell

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
131 Posts
The fairing brackets are known to break, did you check them? Just remove the front of the fairing it will be very noticeable. Look at the radio brackets also.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,014 Posts
My 2010 Street Glide just recently I have started to hear what sounds like something is rattling when I take off. That sounds like it is coming from the motor area. It only happens when I am just starting to roll disengaging the clutch and slowly roll on the throttle and then it seems to go away.
I have checked things like heatshields, mufflers and nothing in the saddlebags that would rattle like that. Sounds like loose change rattling.
Only recent work done was a rocker box gasket leak at the dealer under extended warranty about 2000km ago.
How old are your lifters? You may have one getting slow to pump up or an adjustable pushrod that needs adjustment. Does it make the noise all the time or mainly when the bike is "cold"?

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm wondering about the compensator.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Replaced with an SE compensator about 10 000 km ago

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How old are your lifters? You may have one getting slow to pump up or an adjustable pushrod that needs adjustment. Does it make the noise all the time or mainly when the bike is "cold"?
Lifters have 24000 km on them. So does the bike

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 03 ultra and i have just started to experience the same rattling noise you are talking about! I can't see anything on the engine that could make that noise. I will be changing out the cam plate,cams,lifters, pushrods,tensioners so this will eliminate any possibilities there. I will let you know if i solve it, and if you do please let me know what you found.

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 03 ultra and i have just started to experience the same rattling noise you are talking about! I can't see anything on the engine that could make that noise. I will be changing out the cam plate,cams,lifters, pushrods,tensioners so this will eliminate any possibilities there. I will let you know if i solve it, and if you do please let me know what you found.
Will do

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,014 Posts
Are you doing all of that to chase a rattle?

How do you know you're eliminating possibilities rather than introducing new ones?

Reactions: LTsGarage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you doing all of that to chase a rattle?

How do you know you're eliminating possibilities rather than introducing new ones?
In aviation terminology « shoot guns trouble shooting »

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts