V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been waiting for the right time to put a deposit on a new road glide.I am wondering if the 3000 dollar difference in US and Canadian dollars will change as a result of our canadian dollar perhaps reaching par.If the dollar does reach par is there really any reason other than freight that the price should be different, especially $3000.00.

Should we in canada wait and see if the price drops or go to the dealer and demand a better price?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
the only benefit you would see...would be if you went into the U.S. and
bought a decent used bike

other than that there will be no change in dealer pricing

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
mortimusmaximus said:
Ok I have been waiting for the right time to put a deposit on a new road glide.I am wondering if the 3000 dollar difference in US and Canadian dollars will change as a result of our canadian dollar perhaps reaching par.If the dollar does reach par is there really any reason other than freight that the price should be different, especially $3000.00.

Should we in canada wait and see if the price drops or go to the dealer and demand a better price?

Thanks for any advice.
we have been getting hosed since day one on the exchange by Deeley (deeley is canada's sole importer of Moco bikes and parts....and adds his own mark-up). the local dealer cannot set the prices due to the exchange rate...all dealers buy the bikes from deeley at the same cost and put them on the floor at MSRP....best you can do is shop the price for your best deal on new...or like red says...buy a nice used one in the states...

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Couldn't he come to the U.S. and buy a new bike? Or are there import taxes that would make up for any cost savings?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
dhwingert said:
Couldn't he come to the U.S. and buy a new bike? Or are there import taxes that would make up for any cost savings?
nope...every bike that comes into Canada must be imported by Deeley and there's no way around it

Some think they can get around it, but to no avail

Trev Deeley is asked by Harley-Davidson to become the exclusive distributor for Canada. He forms Fred Deeley Imports.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I was up there in June was 1.1 to 1. Most places were not giving you .1, not worth it. Use a credit card if your paying with USD.

As far as this question goes, read some finacial articles.

I was only up there for night, to damn expensive for me.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I seriously cannot purchase a bike in the US and bring it across the border?If the dealer in the states sells me a bike how will I be stopped at the border?

How much of the $3000 on a road glide is for deeley and why should he get this cut until when,,the end of time?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Austrail Asia

Until just a short time ago every Harley that went anyplace in Australia, New Zealand, New Caledonia and a few other places in Austral Asia had to be blessed by the sole importer Morgan & Wacker. Harley had made the the sole imported back in the very early 1900's. Now I understand Harley and Morgan & Wacker have split as a result of Harley not being happy with all the complaints.

Import duty in both NZ and OZ is another reason Harley's cost so much more over there than they due here. In 2005 I had the price list from Road & Sport of Hamilton, NZ. I can remember the NZ price converted to US included almost $ 6,000 US in taxes, dealer and importer fees.

On another note: A few years back I was going to graduate school with a group of teachers from BC & Alberta. They use to buy a car one summer and leave it in Oregon till the next. Some how that allowed them to bring it into Canada without paying the duty. Maybe you should try that approach.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Well there are no import duties for Harleys into Canada, it is enough with the PST and GST taxes - but there is a middle man - Deeley, who sets the prices and prevents anyone from buying a new Harley in the USA and bringing it into Canada. It is supposed to be Free Trade... but not so when it comes to Deeley. This really is an unfair way to do business in a so called free trade market between the USA and Canada. I am surprised that there hasn't been an investigation into Deeley's pursuasive force over the US Dealers selling to Canadians. On just about anything else we can go stateside and bring it back into Canada. Whenever there is a middleman.. whether it be here or Australia or NZ... the consumers get hosed. If you are looking for a better price on an '08 Harley in Canada I would wait till January '08; that is when Deeley will make the next price adjustment, but don't expect it to be par... they will want their profit margin.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Old Salt said:
According to Customs, you can.
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Also, see: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

Just do the paperwork first before bringing it up. You will have to visit the U.S., pick out a bike, then get the VIN code, etc for the paperwork. Both U.S. and Canadian customs will want to see it.
There are no Canadian laws that won't let you buy a NEW HD and bring it across into Canada. It's an HD policy/agreement w/ Deeley. The dealerships in the U.S. are not allowed to sell a NEW scoot to Canadians.

The workaround would to have someone in the U.S. buy it (with a U.S. address) then buy it from them, then bring it across as used. But do you have someone here you can trust? :hmmm:

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Not trying to stir anything up, just looking at the flip side of the coin... What happened when the currency was going against Deeley? If I'm reading you right, he makes annual price/currency adjustments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You really can't blame Deeley's, If anything, they should be praised for at least lowerint the prices of new harleys every year since the 2004 model prices were announced.
I've bought 2 bikes at Deeleys with an 08 on order now. You have to remember that the corporation started pricing the 08 bikes at least 6 mos before the announcement of the new models in July. Hey , in 2003, a new Ultra cost 34,000 cdn before taxes. Today, you can buy a new 08 for 24,109.
If you should be pissed off at anybody, look at all the japanese and european bikes. They keep raising their prices every year. Even car manufacturers, especially luxury european like BMW and Mercedes, haven't even started addressing the big price gap between new cars in Canada and the U.S.A. There sometimes are price differences of 25,000 to 50,000 dollars on luxury cars such as high end Porsches, Beemers and Benzs.
I thought about bringing up a new Harley from Washington State. ( I can because I have a friend who can buy it for me and re-sell it to me as used), but is it worth all the hassle for a couple thousand bucks? Not to me. I like hanging around my local Harley dealership.
Now, about aftermarket stuff, I'll get those from the States.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
jober said:
There are no Canadian laws that won't let you buy a NEW HD and bring it across into Canada. It's an HD policy/agreement w/ Deeley. The dealerships in the U.S. are not allowed to sell a NEW scoot to Canadians.

The workaround would to have someone in the U.S. buy it (with a U.S. address) then buy it from them, then bring it across as used. But do you have someone here you can trust? :hmmm:
Well, I can understand that. In fact, a friend from Alberta was refused a sale in Manitoba when he inquired because of the great price. As I recall, he was informed it was a territorial agreement put forth by Deeley.

So, jober, if you live in Blaine and we have property in Birch Bay.......

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
jober said:

Really? I have been in a few US dealerships recently and they all seem anxious to sell to me knowing I am a Canadian. EDIT: I called one of the salesmen I had talked to and specifically asked if he could sell to me. "Nope" was the answer. But, if I had a US address, he could sell to me. My apologies Jober
To follow up the original thread, I asked my dealer if there was any room to negotiate since the C$ had risen so much since the MSRPs were set. He said if I ordered a bike for spring delivery, they would give me the new MSRP. If the $ got to par, he expected a downward adjustment to MSRP. Now I'm thinking that may be a bit of BS just to get me to place my order. As an aside, do any of you know if the Canadian MSRP was adjusted part way through the year last year or the year before?

Steve

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
a few points...

1. moco will beat a US dealer over the head if they are found to be selling new units for export...(against their franchise agreement...(but some will)..

2. i am sure that local dealer in the states will charge the cdn buyer the state sales tax..and you may not be able to get that back...

3. then the cdn must import the bike pay gst and pst..and maybe change the speedo to KM's..

this is the same with cars...it can be done but you have know (how)

moco also if they wanted to be pricks about it...and learned that a specific bike was illegally sold and exported may not honor the warranty in CDA...i can tell you that the dealers i know if they found out the bike was bought in the states new would put you on the bottom of the pile for warranty..

by the way howdy canuks..

THE SIXTY EIGHT..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts