V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend do a big bore on his 05 Dyna. He has forward controls on the bike already and was wondering while we have it apart if he could remove the original shifter shaft. I see that you can get a cover without the hole in it. I also looked and saw that you can take the shaft out but this would leave a hole in the back of the primary case. I assume that someone makes a plug for this application but I haven't been able to locate one. Any help?
Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Zoom cycle lists an alloy plug with double o-rings for about $45.00. I havn't tried it but I'm thinking about it. It looks like a good product. I guess you know that you will have to pull the inner primary to do that?

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to look closer but I thought that the shaft just went out of the case and connected to the linkage. If it is to much trouble to remove it I guess that you could cut the shaft back far enough that the new cover would go on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the shaft goes througt the inner primary and the inspection cover. It's inside a tube that bolts to the inside of the inner primary. The part I'm talking about is a plug that replaces that tube. You have to pull the inner primary to get the shaft removed. It comes out from the back side of the inner primary. That being said, it's not that hard to do. Jim

·
Registered
483 Posts
You know after posting that the job is not that hard, I may have minimised a bit. I have a table lift and air tools. You would have to pull the clutch assembly and starter jackshaft and mounting bolts. The chrome shaft cover might be the better option. Sorry if I confused the issue. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I would not just cut the shaft shorter and leave it that way. The support offered by the sleeve in the inspection cover plays a role, even if you are only using it as a plug. Either pull the inner primary, or use the shaft lock down kit that comes with the forward control kit. IMHO!

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the bike closer and you are right! you would have to take the primary off to remove the shaft in one piece. I could also very easily cut the shaft shorter so that it would come out and plug the hole with black silicone (in the back of the primary). I know it sounds a bit crude but I don't see any problems doing it that way and it would save a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
pa-glazier said:
I looked at the bike closer and you are right! you would have to take the primary off to remove the shaft in one piece. I could also very easily cut the shaft shorter so that it would come out and plug the hole with black silicone (in the back of the primary). I know it sounds a bit crude but I don't see any problems doing it that way and it would save a lot of time.

The enclosed primary on a bike generally builds up a bit of pressure. I don't think you would be able to create a tight leak free primary doing the silicone thing. Cut the shaft shorter and remove it and use the kit designed to plug that hole. The ones I have seen are installed from inside the primary!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts