V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1200 custom with factory forward controls. Can i just install foot rests in the standard place so that I can have both options for a long trip?

I am sure somebody has tried this.

patsue

·
Registered
701 Posts
they have relocation kits that would set the controls back to the standard position. Once they are set back, just add a set of highway pegs for comfort.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
patsue,

I don't think you can put on the factory mid pegs on and still maintain the foward controls.
Here is a picture of my 1200s with forward controls. If you will notice, the shifter linkage is pointing down. This will interfer with the bracket that is used with the stock mid controls.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
...and here is a picture of my wifes Hugger with the mid controls. Notice how the shifter would interfer with the bracket holding the peg.

Hope this helps and please excuse the quality of the pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been told that it is possible to have both sets of pegs, with the right combination of parts. I just picked up a set of H-D forwards from another biker. He included what he says is the shifter arm from Kuryakn controls. It appears to be somewhat narrower than the H-D part (it is also shorter). The "theory" is that the Kuryakn part will provide just enough clearance to allow room for the factory left side peg mount.

I'm not planning on installing the controls for a month or so, which means I have no definitive answer on this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would first check if the shifter arm can be adjusted in an upper position and if not possible check the Kuryakin trick. You will also need some spacer to replace the brake pedal on the other side.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
olivier said:
I would first check if the shifter arm can be adjusted in an upper position and if not possible check the Kuryakin trick. You will also need some spacer to replace the brake pedal on the other side.
Oliver has a good point! You could also turn the shifter 180 degrees and have it point up. (that is if the shifter rod is long enough) This would make your shifting pattern reversed. 1 up and 4 down. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts