V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Corvette owners and Harley owners are similar in a few ways. They have a deep love for their choice of rides and are always ready, willing and able to help out. I've owned Corvettes for over 16 years but have always wanted a Harley. Well, this summer I'm going to buy one. I'm just looking for a little help explaining a few things. Is there a good website (or I'm sure you guys can do it here) to explain all the different models and terms like Shovelhead, Rigid, Softail, and the prefix's like FX, FLHT, FXSTS, etc...

Thanks

·
old timer
516 Posts
I think you are asking for more information than you realize.

You should go down to a library and check out a couple of books on the history of HD, or better yet there are a number of coffee table type volumes that you can buy reasonably that tell you most of the historical data , and a catalogue from you rlocal dealer will identify the model designations , at least for the current models.

Your question would take hours to answer even on a basic level.

Frames engines, front ends , brakes, sheetmetal electric or kick ...there are a thousand variations on the theme. And the historical deal is very intricate...for example, there are at least five different versions of the panhead...which years were "outside oilers?"

There are too many questions buried or hidden in your inqury...you need to do some basic research thru printed matter then ask more pointed a question.

Your question is similar to asking what different options have been offered for corvettes over the years, how many engines have been offered?

It ain't a simple discussion. For example do you want to know what the designations mean this year or do you want to cover JD, VL, UL, EL , FL, FX, XL, XLCH, FX, (the letters just keep on churning)

manny

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks manny, I knew with 100 years of Harley's the answers wouldn't be all that simple. I just didn't know if there was a real good web site out there that might answer some of the questions. I'll go do my homework.:D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Pleasure Pig, there are lot's of people here that will just jump at the chance to help you make a decision on a Harley. Manny is right about the covering of the whole spectrum of years and models though. If you would narrow it down to whether you were going to buy NEW or USED and price range and what you would invision as to your type of riding and essentials(alone, two up, touring, around town, your approx. size weight, style preference, etc.) it would help us to help you. If you are looking to buy new you can go to http://www.harley-davidson.com and look at the different current models and look at the styles available and the specs. From there you can return and ask as many questions as you desire. Believe me, it is our pleasure to give you our opinions and preferences. That's what this forum is about. Thanks for coming and looking forward to your posts.

Later

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FifthGear, thanks. Most of the riding I'll be doing will be around the general area I live in, as well as day and weekend trips here and there. I'm averaged sized, 5'9" 190 #. I'm leaning toward a Fat Boy or a Dyna Wide Glide. I'll be buying new and the price should stay around 18-20K, although a little more or lees is no big deal. I've been looking at the HD Web site so I have a good idea at what styles I like the most.

JimmyK,

You Da Man, thats what I was looking for. and PP is fine thanks

·
old timer
516 Posts
Fatboy is the most popular bike on the market...FLSTF and FLSTFI

good for short legs and if you don't plan on a lot of long trips. Else a DYNA, FXD series would be a good choice..they handle better and give a more comfortable ride.

I ride a FatBoy converted to a Street Stalker and I ride it all over the country...but I'm a little off...LOL.

You should look for a FLSTFI injected model with the extended warranty...great to start out on.

manny

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
With your size and weight coupled with the type of riding you say you will be doing, The FatBoy is a great choice.

Mind you now, this is coming from a RoadKing Rider so it is an honest assesment based on what YOU the rider will be looking for out of YOUR bike.

Manny likes taking his FatBoy on the 4k runs just so he can tell us LoveSeat Riders to shut up if we say anything about a 800 mile day run. LOL!

To be honest, I am not that impressed with how FAR he can ride his bike. The reason is simple. He has the damned thing so rad that he gets there in no time at all! LOL!

Ya start out on a 4k with the brother and the next day someone knocks on your Motel Room door with a postcard from him at destination saying "Wishing You Were Here "

Bla HAhahahahahahahha

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
manny,

"You should look for a FLSTFI injected model with the extended warranty..."

Please elaborate on why you think the extended warranty is a good idea.

I'm waiting on my '02 FLSTFI (sometime in May) but I'm skeptical about the value of the extended warranty.

Thanks,
wyodude

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hey, rooster.......

FLT = Tour Glide

From which can be deduced the FLTRI is a fuel injected racing Tour Glide.

Blahahahahahahaaaaaaaa !!!!!!

or does the "R" stand for reverse if we turn the cage joke around?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
To be honest, I am not that impressed with how FAR he can ride his bike. The reason is simple. He has the damned thing so rad that he gets there in no time at all! LOL!

Keeping up? ...... Nooooo problem!!!!!!!!!

It usually takes him a while to find lawnmover batteries for the sumbitch.
Blahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!

·
old timer
516 Posts
I disagree with that remark...it was a snowmobile battery...LOL.

I think that for a novice the extended warrnty is a great idea. It assures that you will get the proper repairs on the bike for a long time. For a new guy I believe that is important...otherwise you can get screwed over pretty badly by unscrupulous shops.

With the factory warranty you'll get the 'proper' fix, most of the time. And as a newer rider you don't have a need to do modifications that void the warranty, at least, for a while.

I am considering a new bagger and I'll pay for the warranty deal, I think it works out well, and when you're on the road a lot that makes a difference.

That, of course, is one man's opinion.

manny

P.S. Hey Hippo, I was thinking about towing the corvette behind the FAsTBOY for those evening trips to the restaurants...Blahahahahahaha !

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I was thinking about towing the corvette behind the FAsTBOY for those evening trips to the restaurants...Blahahahahahaha

Well, so far the natives have been quite acommodating to our needs, but no doubt it may become a option in the future, we are not getting any younger. LOL

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
manny,

"That, of course, is one man's opinion. "

Fair enough, I appreciate your experienced point of view.

Given that you think the extended warranty is a good idea, how much warranty (1-7 years) would you spring for?

TIA,

wyodude

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies!! I knew I'd find lots of help here.

What warranty do they come with from the factory? 1 year, 2 years?

Highrider, I've owned several Vettes over the years. My favorite was just sold last summer, it was a '72 Big Block, had it for 16 years. I bought it when I was 20 and that selliing that one was like selling one of my children. Right now I just have '99 coupe.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pleasure Pig. I believe I recognize you from the corvetteforum. I don't post a whole lot over there but go by yellow86c4.

·
old timer
516 Posts
wyo,

how long are you planning to keep the bike? That's how much warranty I'd look for..LOL.

I just looked at a bike that a guy was selling it was a 2000 and it still had 5 years of warranty left. Makes for a little added value...don't you think?

manny

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
manny,

I agree that a 5 year extended warranty is a nice plus when considering the purchase of a used HD.

Another warranty-related ambiguity is what happens when one upgrades from stock to stage1 or stage 2. Others have opined that technically *any* engine modifications violate the warranty, though most dealers warranty their work.

I still haven't made up my mind but I do appreciate your point of view.

:)

wyo

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I could be wrong but I do not believe the Stage 1 Mod constitutes an engine mod for the purpose of warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts