V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this used Sporty that has the speedo and tach mounted up front. Anyway, it seems that a spider got into the tach housing and spun a web. Now i have a dead spider carcus and his web in the face of my tach. I've tried to get this thing open but it seems to be sealed. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
never been in one myself but common sense dictates that if it was put togther it must come apart.

Gotta be smarter than the machine bro :D

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaw_2112 said:
never been in one myself but common sense dictates that if it was put togther it must come apart.

Gotta be smarter than the machine bro :D
But i'm not smarter than the machine. It doesn't appear they assembled these things in a way to be taken apart.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04ctd said:
the housing has some screws in the rear, it comes right apart.

just a plastic part inside there.

be CAREFUL about how you clock/rotate it going back togehter, the Odo reset switch is tricky.

never took the actual face off the plastic assemby.
I took the rear screws out the other day which did nothing. It was just as tightly sealed as before. And the odometer is not in the tach housing.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Just a thought.
On the OLD bikes (mine's a 1977), you had to cut (with a dremel tool) the
lens off and reglue a new lens on after you were done.
The old plastic lenses yellowed with age.
The lens is available in the after market catalogs.
Don't know about the "new" sporsters, can't bear to part with my old iron.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RidingJerry said:
Just a thought.
On the OLD bikes (mine's a 1977), you had to cut (with a dremel tool) the
lens off and reglue a new lens on after you were done.
The old plastic lenses yellowed with age.
The lens is available in the after market catalogs.
Don't know about the "new" sporsters, can't bear to part with my old iron.
The lense appears to be made out of glass on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After the 2 screws are taken out there is usually a seal that keeps H20 out. Over time it can gum up and make pulling it apart tough. I would look for a rubber gasket and try prying apart there. If you can't see it and its inside you might just have to struggle with it.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RidinClean said:
After the 2 screws are taken out there is usually a seal that keeps H20 out. Over time it can gum up and make pulling it apart tough. I would look for a rubber gasket and try prying apart there. If you can't see it and its inside you might just have to struggle with it.
You've been a member for 1.5 years and you decide to make this your first post - i feel honored. As for the tach, i've tried pulling it apart by hand with no luck. I'm sure i could probably pry it apart with a tool but will probably destroy it in the process. It seems the engineers do not design this thing to be taken apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts