V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
[QUOTE="Isezso, post: 5920207, member: 265340" Harley's have torque and don't need high rpms. they have their power down in the low rpms
[/QUOTE]
I would definitely have to disagree with that statement. Any properly tuned HD I've rode has straightened my arms out when it comes up on the cams at the higher rpm range, not the lower rpms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I know you guys know way more about this than I do. I'm trying to learn what's best. I just got the bike so I don't know much about it. So should I go back to hydraulic lifters and if i do will I need a cam also. What would you do?

·
Registered
22 Posts
And when you take a Harley into high rpms they look like this. They are long stroke for torque, *** bikes are short stroke so they rev high to get there power. A Harley with half the HP of a *** bike will pull a car the *** bike won't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can go back to hydraulic without changing your cam, it was designed for hydraulic that's why they used a conversion lifter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would adjust them and run it that way, probably flip that exhaust one to the way it is suppose to be. You don't know what the previous owner did or why.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I have learned Harley's are cruisers and reliable ones until you try to make a racer out of a 600lb bike to beat a 350 lb bike with 40 more hp. My Harley shovelhead was quick, yank the front wheel in the first two gears and dust evos and twin cams. But it was several thousand dollars, all wasted on one slow shift on a quick revving engine. Once it hit 4000 rpms you best be shifting because 7,000 was a split second away. At 3,500 the thunder jet kicked in and the 530 lift cam also hit it's peak power band. Now it has a mild built 80 in her and cruises reliably down the road with more than enough power to get out of its own way.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Yes, I have learned Harley's are cruisers and reliable ones until you try to make a racer out of a 600lb bike to beat a 350 lb bike with 40 more hp. My Harley shovelhead was quick, yank the front wheel in the first two gears and dust evos and twin cams. But it was several thousand dollars, all wasted on one slow shift on a quick revving engine. Once it hit 4000 rpms you best be shifting because 7,000 was a split second away. At 3,500 the thunder jet kicked in and the 530 lift cam also hit it's peak power band. Now it has a mild built 80 in her and cruises reliably down the road with more than enough power to get out of its own way.
Racing with a Shovelhead has been a loosers game... even Ironheads...especially now that there are Zero real performance parts.. The Evo as a Type is King at the harley Drags..
I wouldn't dream of even Being at the same locale as them Ricers... The reason Harley Drags exist...
You should try it...
Off the soap box now...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would race my shovel if I had the drive to put that engine back together and the money to spare. But my bike runs, and I'm older now.so no real motivation to put it back together it just sits there, low on my to do list. I have been thinking about just parting it out and save the cases in case I want to put my bike back to matching numbers

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
I wouldn't dream of even Being at the same locale as them Ricers... The reason Harley Drags exist...
You should try it...
Off the soap box now...
The V-Rod type motors are doing well in NHRA pro stock.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Just so ya Know... the NHRA is basically a Spec engine... If V&H didn't produce it... You prolly won't even get teched in!!!
Nothing whatsoever to even do with a Harley...
Spend the Money to go to the Pits at NHRA and tell me What You See...
They won't Ever get my $$
But.... I may be Partial to Harley Drags....

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
Just so ya Know... the NHRA is basically a Spec engine... If V&H didn't produce it... You prolly won't even get teched in!!!
Nothing whatsoever to even do with a Harley...
Spend the Money to go to the Pits at NHRA and tell me What You See...
They won't Ever get my $$
But.... I may be Partial to Harley Drags....
It's about as much Harley as a top fuel bike.

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
I knew that was coming... But you know Alan, that you can recognize an Evo... Great big side by side rod, Honkin Long stroke, 4 cam case... EVO..
:)

You know I had to bust your ballz. LOL!!!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts