V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
568 Posts
Looks like a shovelhead. And some adjustable pushrods. I mean... are we talking about the unusually long end of the front exhaust rod? Does it not take its adjustment or?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not enough room to get to the end of the pushrod to get a wrench on it. Just doesn't look normal to me

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
568 Posts
Break the bottom two loose and run It down with your fingers if it's too tight. Are you doing a routine adjustment or just cracking it open to check it out because it was noisy?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the bike and was just checking things out and decided to adjust the valves. The bike had set outside for a while. I'm guessing that's probably not factory

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
568 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Is she just ticking like crazy? From the angle you posted the pic from it loose doable to get an open end or that top flat. I've always wished I had three hands when it came to adjusting pushrods... however I do agree that front one is strange. I'm gonna assume the rear exhaust is the same setup?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other exhaust and intake look normal. So do you think I should just run it or replace the odd pushrod

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
568 Posts
If it adjusts out fine I would run it till you get around to replacing it. Just leave it in there while you order a set and it's time to adjust again. That's really strange actually.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
all i have for you is bad news,, or worse news.... take all that apart so you can assess what all that is..

from what i sed,, none of that belongs in a shovel. i see solid lifter conversion in the top of the lifters....
i also see what is either evo engine push rods, in a shovelhead,, or part of a crane solid lifter conversion package,,, thst is missing the crane lifters..
since it is a cobbled together solid kit,,, it should have an aftermarket solid lif cam. which needs to be verified,,, solids and hydrailic parts dont play well together...

has the motor run zince youve had it?
are you the guy thst was having starter problems in another thread?

i/we need to see what is in there...

the lifter block has been hacked/ground on or notched to get the too long wrong pushrod in without removing the rocker box,, which requires removing the head to remove the rocker box..

sorry if my fat fingers or the auto correct feature assisted me in mis zpelling a bunch of words,,,, im not really bad at spelling my fingers and auto correct are..
zorry for a load of bad news,,,, .im pretty sure im right and have drawn the right conclusions...
there are a couple others here who have extensive knowledge of shovel engines inner workings as well

it could get expensive or not

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am the one that had starter issues. There was not a thrust washer on the bike when I took it apart. The starter was taken apart and cleaned, put a thrust washer and it started. I only ran it about 10 minutes or so. I was afraid there were some things not quite right. Somebody put s&s heads on it before I bought. The guy I got it from said it ran good and was fast. They all say that.... I will definitely take a look at things to make sure they are right. I really appreciate the input. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I adjusted the pushrods the best I could and went for a ride. It's a little noisy so I'll try it again. But the ride was great. I ride a 77 shovelhead most of the time but this bike has so much more get up and go. This is going to be fun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have figured out with some digging that someone has put a hydraulic to solid conversion in this bike. But I'm not exactly sure how adjust them. Is anybody familiar with type of set up?

·
Registered
328 Posts
There is not enough room to get to the end of the pushrod to get a wrench on it. Just doesn't look normal to me

That is because that lifter is on the high portion of the cam lobe. That is a very wrong position to adjust the pushrod. Had you been able to get a wrench on it and 'adjust' it, you would be having a very different conversation here.

Pull the plugs, elevate the rear wheel, put the trans in a high gear and bump the rear wheel until that lifter drops. Go back and forth a few times, watching the lifter rise and fall. You will know when the lifter is all the way down. Thats when you adjust it. I bet you will be able to get a wrench on it after doing this. Some of the other responses here are pretty comical.

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
568 Posts
I had assumed he at least had the front cylinder at TDC to do the adjustment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What happened here, is it is a solid conversion they put the adjuster that way to lessen the angle of the pushrod.if you notice the front exhaust pushrod has the most angle on it. To adjust them do it cold, set the pushrod to it's lowest point and adjust the adjuster till you can spin the pushrod with your finger and thumb with slight resistance

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have never seen a conversion kit in one and was not sure of the correct way to adjust them. Thank for the info. What is your opinion on a setup like this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
  1. Personally don't see the advantage in solid lifters, they need more maintenance because of having to adjust them. They have a advantage in racing but we ride street harleys. I understand why they put the adjuster in that way but no reason to leave it 6hat way unless your running constantly in high rpms and need every possible Ounce of rpms. Harley's have torque and don't need high rpms.they have their power down in the low rpms

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
  1. Personally don't see the advantage in solid lifters, they need more maintenance because of having to adjust them. They have a advantage in racing but we ride street harleys. I understand why they put the adjuster in that way but no reason to leave it 6hat way unless your running constantly in high rpms and need every possible Ounce of rpms. Harley's have torque and don't need high rpms.they have their power down in the low rpms
The typical H-D won't RPM anyway... No Valve Control... I like Hydro lifters and Not adjustable Pushrods..
Been Proven countless times that the "adjustment" portion is a Weak Point!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts