V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 dyna super glide convertible and I also have a 2000 sportster 1200. The sportster has mags on it and my dyna has spoked wheels. I’m wanting the mags on my dyna and I’m just curious if they will interchange without needing new bearings and everything? Or will I need to buy new bearings and spacers. It seems they both have 3/4” axles so I’m just curious if anyone can help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just looking at my parts book, front should be no problem. Axle, bearings, and spacers are all the same. The wheel itself, or wheel assembly numbers are different. Both are 19", 13 spoke cast.

Rear bearings are the same. Spacers are the same, except the sprocket side. Axles are different and wheels have different numbers again. I don't know if you could just reverse the wheel to get the brake and pulley on the correct sides. Brake fasteners are the same, pulley fasteners are different, as are the pulleys. I might be wrong, but I don't think you can just swap the brake and pulley to the other side of the wheel. You have both wheels there, have to check all your spacings to make sure everything lines up.

For future reference, keep this link handy. It will answer a lot of questions. It's not 100% correct, but pretty close.

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's Harley Davidson Street Bike Parts Finder (onlinemicrofiche.com)

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
I've done that change for clients,, the rear wheel can be flipped over,, this puts the fill valve on the left side...
I have also done the 2007 and newer wheels with abs and the larger rotors, on 2006 and older flhr to flhs models.. without abs,,
It is rather easy,, if you use the larger rotors,,, use the calipers from a l2007 and newer bike.. the whole setup can be had for in the $300 range used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done that change for clients,, the rear wheel can be flipped over,, this puts the fill valve on the left side...
I have also done the 2007 and newer wheels with abs and the larger rotors, on 2006 and older flhr to flhs models.. without abs,,
It is rather easy,, if you use the larger rotors,,, use the calipers from a l2007 and newer bike.. the whole setup can be had for in the $300 range used.
So the rear wheel can just be flipped and then it should bolt right up?

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you flip the rear wheel, you'll have to back in and out of your parking space. And you might need a longer air hose to reach around to the other side of the bike to air up your rear tire.;).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the rear wheel can just be flipped and then it should bolt right up?
If you flip the rear wheel, you'll have to back in and out of your parking space. And you might need a longer air hose to reach around to the other side of the bike to air up your rear tire.;).
i have a good long air hose now so that isn’t too much of a problem. Sometime I’m gonna try to attempt it and see how it goes. Hopefully smooth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: the front wheel was smooth and easy. Got my dual calipers swapped over to the mags and it took no more than 30 minutes to get it all done. The rear is a different story. I have both rear wheels off. I swapped the sprockets so now the dyna sprocket is on the mag wheel and the sportster sprocket is in the spoked wheel. I flipped the wheel and I went to put the spoked wheel on the sportster rear and got the axle through and spacers from the sportster in but the spacers weren’t correct. There was a gap on each spacer. I didn’t tighten the axle down because I feel that’s pointless because I don’t believe that it would close the gap on the spacers. I then tried to put the mag wheel on the dyna and the same thing happened only this time I used the spacers that were originally with the mag wheel. (So I used the spacers that were from the sportster) and they were extremely hard to get the larger on it. It was a very tight squeeze. So I’m wondering if I need to use the spacers that come with the wheels or the specific bike? I would assume bike but that wasn’t the case with the sportster. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have never done this swap, but have you measured the width of the inside distance between the swingarms, are they the same? Have you measured the width of the wheels, outside bearing edge to outside bearing edge? Are they the same? Are the spacers different lengths? I would keep spacers that came with the bike if swingarm and wheel measurements are the same, otherwise custom spacers may be needed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would keep the bike spacers with the bike. As noted above, the only spacer that is different is the pulley side on the rear.

Install axle and spacers on their proper sides with the original wheel to get your base measurements. Then swap axle and spacers over to the other wheel to see what is the difference. Adjust from there. You might have to swap the spacers from one side to the other since you flipped the wheel.

The only fly in the ointment would be if the wheels aren't offset the same. How does the pulley and brake rotor alignment look, before you try sticking the spacers in?

If you need to make your own spacers, it's not rocket science.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts