V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the forward foot (gears) controls on the 2003 soft tail standard can be moved back to a more centered position. I was told there was a kit or parts you can get to do this but i cant figure out which and what it is.
thanks for any response
new rider

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Can't recall ever seeing a kit to move them back. However, some of the aftermarket suppliers, Custom Chrome and Drag Specialities, sell floorboard kits to replace the pegs but the shifter and brake locations are still the same. You might check their catalogs along with J&P Cycles, etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My fxst is so comfortable in the forward position I can't think of moving them back. I am wondering your need for moving them back? Are you having trouble reaching the controls, is it uncomfortable or just for looks?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I'm a new rider for FXST I've been told I will get comfortable with it. Used to riding E Glides where foot controls are more centered, the dealer told me that they could be moved back and I was wondering if anyone knew what was involved.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I too have a FXST and to be honest your the first person I ever heard who wants to move them BACK! Haven't seen any aftermarket brackets to move controls BACK since the stock ones really aren't very far forward. All you can do is loosen the shifter link bolt and angle it backwards...your pegs though stay the same. You could buy, say a Kuyiakin peg to move it forward and mount it backwards???Should work.

Part of the ergonomics Designed into the Softail is to have a laid back posture, hands up feet out, so me thinks you got the wrong bike if you can't adjust...changing what you need to on the bike will be $$$$$ and will change what the bike is intedned to be. Good luck though.

CHEERS
FXST99

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sask-man,
I dont think I would want to change the basic design of the bike and I'm sure I would get comfortable with it as it is.
What kind of distance do you travel on this bike?

quickster
nice photo

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told what I could do is install the heel and toe controls and also the running boards that are on the fat boy which would give it a more centered feel. Just an option to think about.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The foot boards that are on the Fat Boy or other softails models will fit on your bike just fine. However, the rear brake pedal will probably need some reworking because of the way it mounts. I rode a 1988 softail springer for over 91k all over the country. It had extended forward controls (3" cause I'm tall). Believe me you'll get used to it. A change of seats sometimes makes a big difference in how comfortable you feel too.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We do a lot of long distance riding and make the trip to Sturgis every year in one LONG day. I always find the bike totally comfortable (I'm 6'2")and usually ride with my books overtop of the footpegs to really relax. I think you just need some time to adjust to the bike and how it fits the rider. Personally I hate floorboards and think they look goofy on a FXST/C/S but it's all personal preference and if you like it, and it feels better to ride, then thats all that counts!

CHEERS
FXST99

·
Registered
3 Posts
My fxst is so comfortable in the forward position I can't think of moving them back. I am wondering your need for moving them back? Are you having trouble reaching the controls, is it uncomfortable or just for looks?
I have had a hip replaced and it is now more comfortable to have my pegs more directly under me and it helps considerably for low speed and start/stop control.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I have had a hip replaced and it is now more comfortable to have my pegs more directly under me and it helps considerably for low speed and start/stop control.
Welcome to the tribe Talon. My wife broke her hip the doc said it was like fixing an eggshell, but that didn't stop her from riding. I am 5'9" and have always had the pegs below me. I did notice that the bike felt balanced in the curves when my feet were up on the highway bars.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts