V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a dyno tune done last year. Well not too long ago I swapped cams and want to get a retune to make sure the AFR is good to go. The plugs look great but I want to be on the safe side. Anyway, I know with my Race Tuner and laptop that I can't extract the current map from the ECM. But will another dealer be able to do it with their Dynojet, Race Tuner software or factory scan tool?

I hate to go back to the other dealer and ask to see if my map is still on file. I wish I had them put it on a disc last year. But I guess I'll have to if another dealer can't access it. I just hate for them to have to start over with a SE base map, because right now the bike runs like a top. And I'd much rather have them be able to tweak what I've got as opposed to starting over.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...... kind of figured. Thanks MG.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
timbo said:
I had a dyno tune done last year. Well not too long ago I swapped cams and want to get a retune to make sure the AFR is good to go. The plugs look great but I want to be on the safe side. Anyway, I know with my Race Tuner and laptop that I can't extract the current map from the ECM. But will another dealer be able to do it with their Dynojet, Race Tuner software or factory scan tool?

I hate to go back to the other dealer and ask to see if my map is still on file. I wish I had them put it on a disc last year. But I guess I'll have to if another dealer can't access it. I just hate for them to have to start over with a SE base map, because right now the bike runs like a top. And I'd much rather have them be able to tweak what I've got as opposed to starting over.
timbo: Just thinking about your questions, and coming from a SERT FNG, I would think you could at least plug in the laptop and get the base map Cal ID. A full Data Record run would capture all the parameters and include where the AFR is at various rpms, etc, along with any knock retard that might be cropping up with the cam swap.

I'm also thinking that a quick dyno session would give you a readout of AFRs and, if acceptable you might not even need the Dealer's map.

Of course, I agree with Mega in that I would want a copy of the map regardless if it was needed at this time or not. Sure would be handy if an ECM failure required a re-load.

.......thinking out loud............+SMSH+

:cheers:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Anyone can re-tune it as long as you bring them the interface module. When the shop built my motor, a generic map was loaded and tweaked to remove the popping but I knew there was more to be gained. When the bike was broken in, I took it to another tuner that fine tuned it further to gain another 8 hp and 12 lb/tq.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My dealer would not give me my map file... quoting policy... whatever. He did, however give me the final AFR printout which also lists the base map they started with from the CD.

He explained to me, and I've confirmed here but haven't tried yet, that if you load into your laptop the base map that they started with and then simply enter in the numbers from the final AFR readings from the printout, you will have your map. You can then save it as a file and give to whomever to further tune your ECM.

I have been told that there is no way to extract the map directly from the ECM to create a backup map file.

I'd ask someone who is knowledgeable about SERTs and maps about this before proceeding based on what I've said here, but it may be another possibility for you.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Nope. Tuners use the AFR and VE tables both to get the AFR they want. Doing what he suggests is only half the equation...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Nope. Tuners use the AFR and VE tables both to get the AFR they want. Doing what he suggests is only half the equation...
If I got my dealer to give me a printout of the VE table, would it work?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
There are other variables that effect warmup, etc. Then there's timing. Methinks you need to quote YOUR policy that you won't use a tuner who won't give you the map you paid for.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
MegaGlide said:
There are other variables that effect warmup, etc. Then there's timing. Methinks you need to quote YOUR policy that you won't use a tuner who won't give you the map you paid for.
Crap! I like what the guy did, but it conflicts with my OCD that I don't have a backup. Thanks for clearing this up for me MG. I'm going to give him another call on this matter.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I sent my bike to Brian at Zepkda Harley in Johnstown, PA. When they were done they gave me copy of the map they made. They also gave me about a ten-page printout of every screen in the SERT program with all the settings they but in. I would think any reputable dealer would do the same. Your paying for it, it should be yours.

Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts