V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this is going to be the year that I get to finally go to Sturgis. I've been evaluating a few different solutions for lodging while there and I was hoping that I could get some pointers from some of you Sturgis vets :cheers:

We were looking at the catered camping specials since we don't have tents and that would keep us lighter on the bike heading that way (1550 miles from San Antonio).

The Buffalo Chip & Glencoe are both around $1100 for the week including two rally passes for all of their shows. The No Name Campground is $750 and seems to have more amenities but no bands. That said, we will be partying but not all night long. A little sleep is good if we are going to be riding the hills all day.

These are just the first 3 that I have happened upon and I'm sure I'm missing out some places that could be much cooler to stay in.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My experience is that you won't get much sleep at the Chip or Glencoe unless you are the type who could sleep through a mortar attack. Just something to keep in mind if you are considering the tent route...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do not believe you will find many other places that offer the "catered" camping option...

If I'm not mistaken the No Name campground is new this year(?) and something of an unknown?

The Chip & Glencoe are both popular and offer world class partying! The Chip has very little shade while Glencoe has a lot of trees, but competition for the shade can be tough! LOL In my opinion the whole "you won't get any sleep at Glencoe or the Chip" thing is a bunch of BS. Sure if you set up your tent right on titty alley it might be too wild, but if you get back in the trees over on the river side of the campground you'll have no trouble sleeping. And the truth of the matter is that titty alley is WILD at sunset and for the next few hours, but after that, even it quiets down. The dip shits in the RV's running their f**king generators all night are more of a problem than the rowdy party'ers are!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
If you want to get some sleep try the Cotton wood creek camp ground. We stayed there in 02. It is about 12 miles north of sturgis out past Bear butte on the west side of the road. About a mile of gravle to ride. But if your going to Strugis you WILL ride on gravel.
http://www.sturgiscamping.com/ccc/index.htm

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Tilford Gulch Campground, about 10 miles east of Sturgis right off I90, is a relatively quiet, clean campground. Good facilites. It's not a party campground though. I've been staying there since 1992.

You can also send your stuff via UPS to the campground and they will hold it for you. Same thing going back.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can stop in Spearfish or Rapid City and hit up Walmart for all your camping gear, bungee cords are amazing. Then when you are done with it go downtown to the post office, box it up and mail it back home, or just give it away at the campground. We end up with all sorts of free beer and camping stuff every year. You should not have to limit your experience at Sturgis.
As for the Chip or Glencoe, you may or may not get relative quiet. Usually just when it starts to get quiet 1 or 2 howlers will start up, thats what we call the drunks that do the rebel yell all night long, that usually starts up the guy with the old iron head Sportster with drag pipes and bad ignition timing. You can see where this is going.
Staying at Hog Heaven this year, fairly quiet late at night.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Lamphere is great its next to Glenco and FT Saloon and its only 15 per person per night. Has some trees , tent only areas where generators are not alowed to be used . I stayed there in 04 the bathrooms were always clean good little store not overly priced . And breakfast every day for I believe it was 2 or 3 bucks. http://www.lamphereranch.com/

The only down side is the traffic to Sturgis in the morning and from at night. But there are ways around that..

·
Registered
227 Posts
What's the party situation at Lamphere like?

I stayed at Glencoe last year. I was at the far end of the bike only section, and I actually got some sleep. The worst noise was the soft sound of burnouts coming from across the road at Full Throttle. But that helps put me to sleep. The alley was awesome! The trick is to camp at the far end and walk over to the alley with some beer. Then stumble back to your tent.

However, I'm not going to pay their prices this year. Lamphere might be good? But to be honest, if you aren't going to have any "scenery" to look at, then fighting the traffic isn't worth it. I mean I can't see riding all the way to Sturgis just to camp at some KAO with the kids. WTF?

If you're worried about noise, these new bands and all the car traffic on the new road isn't really going to help.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions. We decided to go with Glencoe and are looking forward to our first visit to Sturgis.

Hopefully, we will meet up with some of our fellow VTF'ers while there :beer:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Shipping Gear to Glencoe

Has anyone had experience with shipping the gear to/from?

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can UPS your stuff to Glencoe. Folks that camped next to us a couple of years ago shipped out duffle bags, ice chests, and boxes, they got whatever else they needed at the Pamida, Dakotamart or Walmart. When you go to pick up your stuff there you can give one of the kids working a couple of bucks and they will golf cart it down to your campsite. They do return shipping when you are done camping.
AP

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have camped (tent) at both the Chip and Glencoe....Glencoe is just as much fun as the Chip but without the music (although I heard that Glencoe is building an ampitheater?) I prefered staying at Glencoe because there are more trees and much less dust than the Chip....the Chip is really dusty.

As far as shipping, if you are riding alone, pack it up and get'r on the bike. There is something to be said for being self-sufficient. Tent, bag, clothes on the passenger pillion stays put with a good backrest....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bebrewer,

I live in SA too. I rode up to Sturgis last year. Left on Thursday morning and arrived at Glencoe on Friday afternoon (spent the night in Salina, KS). Shipped my tent and camping gear up via UPS Ground the week before. It worked out great. I did take 3 days coming back since I couldn't get an early start on the first morning. If the heat this year was like the heat last year, I suggest that you seek out the lady that sells the cooling vests that you soak in water and wear for your return trip. I decided not to make the trip this year. Maybe next year though. Have a great trip and ride safe!

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DeaconK, Thanks for the advice! We are looking forward to the trip and are likely going to ship our stuff up in advance as well. Might head up towards Denver on the trip up to visist with some friends and maybe join a few other riders for the last leg.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
For the price of those places by some gear and pitch it. Problem is if you get in at and want to hit the hay. Need time it.

I stayed first year at Elkhead, $11 easy on and off highway. Little boring. Was right off i-90 and lloud.

Last year at Lamphere, $15, still little boring but better, got some sleep. But was a royal pia to go anywherem had to go through Sturgis. Same for Glencoe or Chip.

Next time look for something little bit out of town.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
My buddy and I are planning on staying at Tilford Gulch this year. This will be our first trip to Struis. Tilford is $12 a night and have all the amenities that you need. Only 9 mi. to Sturgis. Anyone have any input on Tilford Gulch? Looks nice from the website. Everyone have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Langstoj86 said:
My buddy and I are planning on staying at Tilford Gulch this year. This will be our first trip to Struis. Tilford is $12 a night and have all the amenities that you need. Only 9 mi. to Sturgis. Anyone have any input on Tilford Gulch? Looks nice from the website. Everyone have fun and ride safe!
Read my post above. It's not a party campground. Facilities are great and it's convenient with no traffic problems. It is close to the interstate and you get that noise. I always sleep with ear plugs at bike events anyway. After a day or two, you get used to traffic noise. You can set up on the hill farther away from the interstate but you will also be farther away from the "indoor facilites" except they do have portapotties up there. Decent food for a quick meal (nothing fancy) and they also have a beer bar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lazy J

bobbobbobalu said:
This place is nice=www.lazyjrvpark.com:whistle:
I stayed at the Lazy J last year, nice place, easy in and out, close to a lot to see and just far enough away to get away from it.

A couple of posts suggested purchasing equipment at the local Wal-Mart, Pamida, or Dakotamart. Not a good idea. I did that last year and managed to get the LAST tent on sunday morn at the Wal-Mart in Rapid City. Shelves were pretty bare. It would be a good idea to carry all you can or have it shipped ahead of time.

:chopper:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts