V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/gals,

I am looking to get a camera mount for my LFHCRI w/ stock bars. I've got a Panasonic PV-GS250 digital camera and want to create some vids for an 06 compilation.

Any ideas? I have seen some stuff for about $250+, but I think that's too expensive, not to metion it puts the camera in harms way (above or beside the shield). I know the shield may create a haze and/or shine in the film (not to mention bug spllatters) but that's better then spending a bunch more $$$ to replace the camera.

I might also fabricate one on my own - but I don't have much time for that anymore.

Thanks.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alasakan,

Thanks, but I don't want a helmut cam - my head is already big enough.... :yikes:

I want to find something that mounts right on the handlebar clamp. I don't know if that thing would stay on if I put it on some cold chrome....

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
www.aerostich.com has a bunch of mounts and parts, I think they're intended for GPS units but you might find that one of those would work. I've looked at a few for video cameras.

Edited to say that the mounts are the handlebar kind.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, since it will be behind the shield, I might be able to get away with an bicycle mount (I think HD-LUX did it with a bicycle horn mount). He was using a digital camera though (if I'm not mistaken).

The Panasonic weighs 1.1 lbs. I think I am going to need something with more stress capabilities to it.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bingo! Man, that thing lookos like it might be just right - and for $40 it's better then me making up my own.

Thanks bbqhog

·
Seasoned Rider
547 Posts
Low_Rider said:
Bingo! Man, that thing lookos like it might be just right - and for $40 it's better then me making up my own.

Thanks bbqhog
No problem..been in the camera business for 25 years. Enjoy!

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I have a follow-up question then. What is the impact the shield is going to have on the quality of film? I have the shield brackets and the shield itself that I am sure will have som impact (no pun intended).

Perhaps I am just a little paranoid about destroying my camera.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Man I just rode one handed...............
Although I wouldnt recommend it

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holly Shite HotShot!

No, I won't be doing that......

Athough, I liked the look behind the bars of the FXDL - nothing looks better then the dash of the FXDL IMHO.

·
Seasoned Rider
547 Posts
Low_Rider said:
OK, I have a follow-up question then. What is the impact the shield is going to have on the quality of film? I have the shield brackets and the shield itself that I am sure will have som impact (no pun intended).

Perhaps I am just a little paranoid about destroying my camera.
Film? I assume you mean how will shooting through the windshield affect the image quality. A clean windshield is obviously a must. I recommend you turn your PV-GS250 to manual focus and set it a bit short of infinity (this will keep the camera from focusing on the shield itself). Depth-of- field should ensure a sharp image. You may have to experiment around with the point of focus a bit to find the best spot. If you are shooting without a windshield, a skylight or haze filter (clear to protect the lens) is MANDATORY.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohh, good idea about the filters - Yeah, you caught me on the "film" terminology. I meant the quality of video.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Man I just rode one handed...............
Although I wouldnt recommend it
Thats the same mount I use :laugh: ...I'll have to locate some pics...

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
An old trick I've used for years. Get yourself a pair of Waterpump ViseGrips. Weld a 1/4 x 20 bold on top of the handle back around the screw adjustment, another 90degrees from that one and another on top of where the jaws are. Now get a shop rag and clap it around your bars with the rag protecting the finish.

If that's too difficult check out Ram products.

But you'd be surprised the uses for the ViseGrips I described. Hook it to a fence, to a tree limb, to car window, to your d***.

o~\o

·
Registered
725 Posts
Low_Rider said:
Guys/gals,

I am looking to get a camera mount for my LFHCRI w/ stock bars. I've got a Panasonic PV-GS250 digital camera and want to create some vids for an 06 compilation.

Any ideas? I have seen some stuff for about $250+, but I think that's too expensive, not to metion it puts the camera in harms way (above or beside the shield). I know the shield may create a haze and/or shine in the film (not to mention bug spllatters) but that's better then spending a bunch more $$$ to replace the camera.

I might also fabricate one on my own - but I don't have much time for that anymore.

Thanks.
Low_Rider... There are a number places to buy handlebar mounts for a camcorder, gps, radar detector, etc. Do a search on the web for RAM motorcycle mounts and a bunch of companies will show up. I have a nice mount from Saeng Engineering.

There isn't much of an issue filming through a windshield. The video comes through quite, if not very well. Sometimes you'll see the reflection of the camera on the windshield, but no big deal.

OK, now for some potential not-so-good news. I have a Panasonic GS-400. Very similar to your GS-250. Both very good and sophisticated... and probably too fancy for motorcycle recordings :confused:. Both have state of the art OIS (Optical Image Stabilzation). This technology does not handle well the high frequency vibration of a motorcycle. The recording comes out looking fuzzy/buzzy. Go to some mounting company web sites and they say use DIS (Digital Image Stabilizion) camcorders but not OIS. I found this out after buying the camera :crying:. I've tried all kinds of damping techniques... rubber bumpers, furniture pads, and getting closer, but the image clarity is still not as good as my plain and older DIS camcorder. Have not tried it on a handle bar mount but don't see how this will change... probably worse knowing how handlebars can vibe. OIS is just too fancy. Great for handholding stabilization but not frequency vibrations. My next technique to try is using a mouse pad, having the mount go around this. I'm not going to give up because the Panasonic GS series camcorders are outstanding... until one starts to record from a moving motorcycle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a Spider Mount in black (30997) which was about twice the price (70.00) but works great and can be moved around and is higher off bar. Also it can be used for other stuff (detector, GPS, iPod, etc). I have used it both for video and still.

http://www.techbiker.com/700165.html

Hope that helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts