V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My RoadKing is a 99 EFI and have the poor bearings.
My plan is to change bearings this winter and I have some questions.

Since the cams will come off, should I change them? (15000 miles)
Can I use a set of cams from a 2002 engine TCB? or should I keep the existing ones (is a FXSTS and FLHR the same camwise)
If I use, say a set of Andrews TW37B will I need a PowerCommander or DFO?
(I have a set of open pipes, Kerker and a SE airfilter with chip installed)
What set of tools do you recommend me buying? Used?
What kind of pushrods?
What kind of bearings, Torrington is good I hear. Do they come as a kit?
Perhaps someone can sell me a complete kit with bearings pushrods and gaskets?
I´m not doing this because I need more HP, quite happy as is
I think you get the picture.
Thanks
Ola

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I have an '00 that had the bad bearings. I updated it this spring. I put in Andrews 26G cams. The bike has the Stage I download and air cleaner. It ran great. If I were going to the trouble to swap bearings, I'd go ahead and get a set of bolt in cams instead of putting stock ones back in.

I used the SE pushrod kit because it comes with pushrod covers that make it easier to adjust. I used the S&S install kit. It comes with the bearings and cover gasket. The kit was only about 20 bucks.

For tools, I rented them off of a guy from another forum.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
OOla said:
Hi.

My RoadKing is a 99 EFI and have the poor bearings.
My plan is to change bearings this winter and I have some questions.

Since the cams will come off, should I change them? (15000 miles)
Can I use a set of cams from a 2002 engine TCB? or should I keep the existing ones (is a FXSTS and FLHR the same camwise)
If I use, say a set of Andrews TW37B will I need a PowerCommander or DFO?
(I have a set of open pipes, Kerker and a SE airfilter with chip installed)
What set of tools do you recommend me buying? Used?
What kind of pushrods?
What kind of bearings, Torrington is good I hear. Do they come as a kit?
Perhaps someone can sell me a complete kit with bearings pushrods and gaskets?
I´m not doing this because I need more HP, quite happy as is
I think you get the picture.
Thanks
Ola
If all you intend to change is cams you might wanna try the S&S 510...get the gears too as stated above...you won't be sorry...

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You did not state if you where 95 or not since you did not I am going onthe 88 inch. I would not use the 37 in a 88 inch motor the 21 or 26 would be a better cam. If you decide to have head work and the 95 the 26 would be a great choice. The 37 would work but being the bike is on the heavy side, I think the 26 would offer more fun for the dollar. The 37 does not produce the tq at a low rpm as does the 26 the 37 is a great cam but really starts pulling at 2800+ where as the 26 will hit under 2500. and the compression for the 37 needs to be in the 9.5+ range to run well. being that you are less than 9.1 the cam is going to be even more late building good numbers. Just my 2 cents. GOOD luck with the build. Living here in Pheonix the weather has been great for riding, cool nights and such so I understand the whole wait till the rainy season not that we get is too badly it will get rainy for a short time and be cold and damp. Perfect time to work on the scoot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xxxflhrci said:
I have an '00 that had the bad bearings. I updated it this spring. I put in Andrews 26G cams. The bike has the Stage I download and air cleaner. It ran great. If I were going to the trouble to swap bearings, I'd go ahead and get a set of bolt in cams instead of putting stock ones back in.

I used the SE pushrod kit because it comes with pushrod covers that make it easier to adjust. I used the S&S install kit. It comes with the bearings and cover gasket. The kit was only about 20 bucks.

For tools, I rented them off of a guy from another forum.
Great, did you put in any DFO or Power commander?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HDWRENCH said:
You did not state if you where 95 or not since you did not I am going onthe 88 inch. I would not use the 37 in a 88 inch motor the 21 or 26 would be a better cam. If you decide to have head work and the 95 the 26 would be a great choice. The 37 would work but being the bike is on the heavy side, I think the 26 would offer more fun for the dollar. The 37 does not produce the tq at a low rpm as does the 26 the 37 is a great cam but really starts pulling at 2800+ where as the 26 will hit under 2500. and the compression for the 37 needs to be in the 9.5+ range to run well. being that you are less than 9.1 the cam is going to be even more late building good numbers. Just my 2 cents. GOOD luck with the build. Living here in Pheonix the weather has been great for riding, cool nights and such so I understand the whole wait till the rainy season not that we get is too badly it will get rainy for a short time and be cold and damp. Perfect time to work on the scoot.
Yes it´s an 88
The 26 cam is the better one, you are right
Will I need to use any DFO PowerCommander?
Geardriven cams are a bit pricey I think so perhaps a chaindriven 26 or perhaps a SE 203/204
What pushrods do you recommend?
I will look around
If any of you have cams for sale let me know or point me to someone that has.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
OOla , the gear drives are well worth it in the long run . HDWrench has a solid recommendation with the TW26(G) , HD adjustable pushrods , or equivalent will allow for easy adjustment and any change of cams down the road if you change your build.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The great thing about cams under 550 lift is you can use the stock push rods, and the chain 26 is offered as well. I would recommend the gear drive but if not in the budget then do what you can. Just be sure you are ready to be inspecting the tensioners every 10,000 miles min. I would purchase new tensioners at the time of cam swap as well. I would also upgrade the lifters at same time. Other than that have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HDWRENCH said:
The great thing about cams under 550 lift is you can use the stock push rods, and the chain 26 is offered as well. I would recommend the gear drive but if not in the budget then do what you can. Just be sure you are ready to be inspecting the tensioners every 10,000 miles min. I would purchase new tensioners at the time of cam swap as well. I would also upgrade the lifters at same time. Other than that have fun.
I´ve been looking aroud and I only gets more confused.
OK, geardriven cams is obviously the way to go and 26G is good
Where should I look for them?
Keeping stoch pushrods means removing the tank, right?
A set of SE adjustable will help.
How much would a "full kit" set me back (cams, pushrods, gaskets, bearings, geardrive, lifters and/or tensioners) DFO??
I need a company that can ship overseas.

If I plan to stay with the chain, is SE203 OK for a cruiser?

Again thanx for all input
Ola

1 - 11 of 11 Posts