V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around this forum and checked many threads for camshaft and camshaft installation on a 99 Road King, this is my summary.
My bike is a 99 FLHRCI, 14.000 miles, with Kerker pipes, SE Air-kit (with installed cartridge).
I will get a set of Andrews TW26 cams, Screaming Eagle adjustable pushrods, SE splined 34 tooth sprocket, two new Torrington inner bearings, a gasket kit and perhaps some special tools. I know that gear driven cams are the better solution but I’ll stick with the chain drive.

Will I need to get a DFO/TFI or can I ride without one installed without damaging the engine?
Do I need all the tools? The chain tensioner release tool? (can I use some other device) The 2 pins? (use an ordinary steelrod instead? diameter?) Sprocket lock? (have air tools) Inner bearing remover/installer?
Can anyone sell/borrow/rent me a set of special tools needed? Used or new.
Is there a gasket kit that covers this installation? Who sells it?
The best price for the TW26 is $211 + shipping, any suggestions
I don´t need new bearings as the Andrews comes with new ones.
I think I am on track here, if not please advice

I can pay via PayPal if someone has anything to sell. I have a 100% feedback on Ebay with 50+ auctions won.
Thank You

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
I'm sure the pros will chime in here but from what I understand you can get all the tools you need from George's Garage. Click on the ad to the left of this thread.....

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
If you can find no one here to rent you the tools, go to this site....
http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTal...ssage=726024&LastModified=4675549488454756546
and rent them. I rent them from there with no problems.

Your choice of Andrews 26's is good, but you may want to rethink the gears, especially if you have to put new tensioners in when you do your swap. Tensioners are about 80 bucks. That will go along way on the price difference for the gears.

Anyway, I put 26G's in my '00 RKC. I had the Stage 1 and the bike ran great. I later added a DFO after I put on True Duals and found that I needed a little more fuel to make the bike run better.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can use a 7/16 wrench for the tensioners, just place the open end on the tensioner and place a screwdriver in the closed end of the wrench and twist, then stick a drill bit or even a nail in the hole to hold the tensioner back. The sprocket lock tool is about worthless, just put the bike in first gear and apply pressure to the rear brake, that is your sprocket lock. Cam bearing tools you will need to buy, you will get your investment back in beer from all your friends that will need to borrow your cam bearing tools. Also get a Baisley spring for the cam plate oil pressure relief. Have fun,
AP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HDWRENCH said:
I rent them and a few others in the kit to make the job easier for 50 dollars
OK, I forgot to mention that I live overseas. How much is shipping and how much does the package weight? (for my return shipping)
Country is Sweden and zip is 27637
Thanx

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Sorry no overseas with the tools, there are ways around a few things and the other tools you would need are not that much money

1 - 8 of 8 Posts