V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be ordering an 06' bagger soon. I was originally planning on doing a 95" BB, head work, Andrews 37G, pipes, etc., but the cost of these upgrades has gotten out of control so I need to scale back.

After doing some searches here, it looks like a good way for me to get some extra torgue down low while mostly staying stock and keeping my costs down would go something like this:

Stage 1 air cleaner
Carb rejet
Thunderheader 2-1 exhaust
Andrews 26G
Dyno tune

That's it. Everything else to remain stock. Is this still considered a good recipe for a mostly stock bagger? Any of you guys running a similar setup? It would be great to hear your thoughts. Thanks...Jim
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
I am running a similar setup on my "99 EG right now. I think it makes good power compared to a stock bike.
Mind you there will be several here that tell you to wait and do the whole deal all at once when you have the money and that may be good for some.
IMHO this was an acceptable upgrade at the time based on the money I had at the time and I hated the power of the stock bike. These mods increased the ridability by 100%.
I like this combination, but am going to do a BB and ported heads but am sticking with the 26G cam because I like the power range it provides. All it will cost for my upgrade will be around $600 because I will do all the labor myself.
Again, you will get a 100 different opinions on this, this one is just mine and what I did and am planning. Good luck with your bike and enjoy.
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response man...

Stock compression will work fine with this cam then? I want reliability with no pinging issues. Thanks.
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
I have stock compression and stock ignition module with no pinging or issues. 26G was designed for stock compression.
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SILVER BULLET said:
2002 FLHT with a Andrews 21 ,stock carb ,S.E. air cleaner,thunderheader ,pulled 90 lbs. TQ. and 73 hp. 88 inch stock.
That is an impressive torque number with no head work. Do you think I'm better off going with the Andrews 21 then? Thanks...
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
Thats a tough question jimmy.
21 starts pulling earlier but falles off around 4k
26 starts later by about 400 rpm but pulls to 5k
look at the dyno section for charts with the 21 and 26 will give you an idea.
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LittleBear said:
Thats a tough question jimmy.
21 starts pulling earlier but falles off around 4k
26 starts later by about 400 rpm but pulls to 5k
look at the dyno section for charts with the 21 and 26 will give you an idea.

Will do LittleBear. Thanks. Pretty impressive torque with that Andrews 21 on a mostly stock bike. I'm looking for torque down low on a heavy bike like the Road King.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,384 Posts
just got my flht with stock heads and tw21 dyoned. It only made 76p but made 93.53 tq sae. went over 80tq at 2400 rpms. over 90 at 2800 and at 5000 was back down to just under 80. I have the stock headgasket which is like .052", some day I will get a .030 hg and call it good. STD was 77 and 94.46 4th gear.
 

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Still breaking in my 95" BB, 21G, and stock 06 heads build. I love the instananeous throttle response and the thing nearly rips my arms off from 2000 to 4200:banana: Gobs and gobs of torque:cheers:

BTW 4200 in 5th is 100mph which is plenty for me...and with this build I get there very quickly. My last bike was an 05 heritage with 98" BB, 37G, Dan Bailsey heads. This one seems faster, better throttle response, and is more fun to drive. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mtclassic said:
just got my flht with stock heads and tw21 dyoned. It only made 76p but made 93.53 tq sae. went over 80tq at 2400 rpms. over 90 at 2800 and at 5000 was back down to just under 80. I have the stock headgasket which is like .052", some day I will get a .030 hg and call it good. STD was 77 and 94.46 4th gear.
88" motor?
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bedemonster said:
Still breaking in my 95" BB, 21G, and stock 06 heads build. I love the instananeous throttle response and the thing nearly rips my arms off from 2000 to 4200:banana: Gobs and gobs of torque:cheers:

BTW 4200 in 5th is 100mph which is plenty for me...and with this build I get there very quickly. My last bike was an 05 heritage with 98" BB, 37G, Dan Bailsey heads. This one seems faster, better throttle response, and is more fun to drive. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
Very cool. Sounds like you are really enjoying your build. It's interesting that the seat of your pants is telling you that this bike is more fun to ride than the Heritage with the headwork. Maybe the 06' heads are flowing good enough that headwork isn't needed on a BB job unless a guy is looking to eek every ounce of potential out of his build. You also saved yourself about $800 on the Baisley super stock head work. What exhaust you running?

I find this very interesting, since I'm back on the BB kick. What I need to do is quit screwing around and make up my mind.
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't get the link to work. It's lookin for a log in. Any chance you would be kind enough to post the text here?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top