V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think i may have a problem :yikes: but I'm looking for some help on this one.

My build is running GREAT but I just did some compression tests and may have uncovered an issue.

F/R CCP is 165 warm, I added a bit of oil and it didn't really change maybe 6 psi, so i thought maybe valves but both jugs??

Build details
103BB Jugs, SE Flatops, SE 1550 ring kits gapped at .020 first .024 second
Big Boyz Heads at 84cc's, Jugs decked to 0, .030 mls gasket. I figured I should be seeing about 180 at my altitude (2200 ft)

1. Yes WOT test
2. Yes plugs removed
3. 2 different gauges and both read same +/- 2 psi
4. No leakdown yet thats next

Also thought about the cams being off one tooth (About 19 degrees) but it runs so well if it was I would think I could tell..so any ideas?

I forgot Andrews 31 cam...46 Degree Intake close

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
my calculator says at 2200', your ccp should be 177 psi with your combination.

Now, if I remember right, you still have low mileage on this motor yet.

You are using dino oil, right? and how did you do the break-in to seat the rings?

A leakdown test could shed some more light.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Did you test it hot or cold?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totenkopf said:
my calculator says at 2200', your ccp should be 177 psi with your combination.

Now, if I remember right, you still have low mileage on this motor yet.

You are using dino oil, right? and how did you do the break-in to seat the rings?

A leakdown test could shed some more light.
Hmm well 177 sounds better, yes low mileage... Im used/using motomans method, 10min first run hard on and off the Throttle after a warm up cooled down then again for 20min....I know this is a CRAZY topic but I am pretty confident in the ring seal method...Yes dyno oil I guess it will seal up a little better with a few more miles but it just seemed a little low... I guess thats a side effect of this board..you mind [email protected]#k everything on your bike..I'll just STFU ride the thing for a little while and check later..plugs look good no smoke, feels great maybe i should just enjoy

Thanks for the feedback Tote

test was warm

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
AZFXSTB said:
Hmm well 177 sounds better, yes low mileage... Im used/using motomans method, 10min first run hard on and off the Throttle after a warm up cooled down then again for 20min....I know this is a CRAZY topic but I am pretty confident in the ring seal method...Yes dyno oil I guess it will seal up a little better with a few more miles but it just seemed a little low... I guess thats a side effect of this board..you mind [email protected]#k everything on your bike..I'll just STFU ride the thing for a little while and check later..plugs look good no smoke, feels great maybe i should just enjoy

Thanks for the feedback Tote

test was warm
Is this a 95 or a 103? do you have the proper piston?

·
Registered
621 Posts
AZFXSTB said:
I guess thats a side effect of this board..you mind [email protected]#k everything on your bike..I'll just STFU ride the thing for a little while and check later..plugs look good no smoke, feels great maybe i should just enjoy
Yea, this s$it will torture you. I've been having a discussion with Tote on my build..I was reading 210 PSI cold when it should of been 190. Turns out you should take the 4th reading pulse (at least with a snap-on gauge) and not the max. number. When I do this, I get 190/190. (I did verfiy this with another gauge) By the way, make sure your gauge has the checkvalve at the bottom adapter or fitting where it screws into the sparkplug hole. Further up in the hose or at the gauge will give you a lower reading.

It took my bike 300 miles to seal within 5% and 500 to 1000 to seal all the way.

I did not follow Motoman's method. I heat cycled 3 times, rode 10 miles changed oil, road 50 mile, etc, etc. Hit 500 and pretty much kept it wide open.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
route66paul said:
Is this a 95 or a 103? do you have the proper piston?
103, I have the 07 pistons..bore is the same just the piston thats different..the rings are all the same part number between the 1550 and 1690 SE BB kits...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
springer- said:
First thing I would do is confirm your readings with another gauge.
I have used 2 gauges at this point, both within 2 psi of each other but both cheapo gauges

·
Registered
917 Posts
did you cc the heads yourself after you got them back?

did you cc the vlave pockets in the piston?

after a few good heat cycles the ccp should not change much if everything was done right.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ejk_dyna said:
did you cc the heads yourself after you got them back?
Nope they were done by Bean I trust the numbers

ejk_dyna said:
did you cc the vlave pockets in the piston?
Nope everyone says SE Flats are 1-1.5 cc depending on who you ask and that .5 cc doen't do much

ejk_dyna said:
after a few good heat cycles the ccp should not change much if everything was done right.
Well I put the gauge away and just got back from a ride and the thing rides like a DREAM went from 2200 to 7000 feet and it was GREAT..I am enjoying it~!Awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts