V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were a couple of people asking about my tensioner wear when I did my recent build. Thought I'd post a pic since it's always a subject of interest here. So I dug em out and here they are at 27,000 miles. I replaced em when I did my build but will put gear cams in no later than next winter. I'll decide if this is the build I wanna keep over the upcoming riding season and if it is, I'll just replace my 37b's with 37g's.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
They look pretty good to me for that mileage.

I would say the recommended check of 20K looks like a good one.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
They look a little better then mine did at 26000. Glad they are gone :)

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree LAF, I was happy to see they weren't any worse than that. Gotta remember, I live in a very mild climate so my bike rarely and I mean rarely (never?)gets really hot. I for one think that heat has a real affect on that plastic, just my opinion not based on anything in particular. I would definately say check em at 20k.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
On my 2001 RKC, they were almost gone completely at 19K miles. I replaced them and the cam (with a 37b) and rode the bike another 20K until last fall when the bike succumbed to my desire for an 06 Ultra with some extra motor work. The dealer was surprised when he found out the bike only had 19K on it and they looked like they did..

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
tensioners

Have any of you cut up an oil filter to see how much of the plastic gets trapped in the filter? Any day now when I change the oil & filter i'm gonna run that bad boy thru my band saw and check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts