1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if cam chain tensioner shoes have an inspection schedule but they
*should*!

Snippet from elsewhere.

Should these be checked at how many miles?.....(considering the pain in the a$$ that they are to get into).
I'm going on 30,000'ish. This guys fell to bits at 60! :eek:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Real debatable.

You find them destroyed at low mileages on some bikes and perfect on some high mileage ones.

Properly inspecting them requires removing the cams as you will not see the inner one by just removing the nose cone. The condition of one has absolutely no bearing on the condition of the other one.

If you polish the chains when you are in there it's real unlikely you'll have a problem, and the chain finish on the later model bikes generally seems to be better then on the early ones.

These are facts and the conclusion you come to would vary from person to person.

I have a feeling that the other factor in their longevity may well be the duty cycle of the engine, ie the lenght of the average trip and how much the bike sits, but that's speculation based on that once the bike sat for days it would take quite a while to get oil on them, not unlike the cam bearings.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you subscribe to this theory, you can see how using a diester based oil with it's much higher wetness (the ability to cling to a surface) could possibly make a difference.

No point in debating this stuff as everyone will base their views on their personal experiences. I just go on what I see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts