V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with these disintegrating? They're made of some kind of hard plastic and I've heard they'll come apart and trash the oil pump, maybe even the backing plate. Was told there's an after-market set-up that's gear-driven and does away with the chain and by default the chain tensioners. Anybody tried this or had the problem to begin with?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yes the cam chain tensioners used for the Twin Cam do wear over time and eventually need to be replaced. Some bikes sooner than others. When they wear down far enough, larger size pieces of the tensioner can fall off and be picked up with the oil and thats when bad things can happen.
There are parts available to eliminate the chain drive for the stock cam setup and convert to a gear driven cam setup.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
w1deglide said:
What's up with these disintegrating? They're made of some kind of hard plastic and I've heard they'll come apart and trash the oil pump, maybe even the backing plate. Was told there's an after-market set-up that's gear-driven and does away with the chain and by default the chain tensioners. Anybody tried this or had the problem to begin with?
Do a search on this subject and you'll find enough reading material to fill up a night. The problem is some last a lot longer than others and nobody really knows why.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Not to be a jerk but this has been talked about to death. Be best to search and then discuss with little knowledge. Not to be an ass but it is your first post. Shouldn't jump the gun, maybe you did read up.

I think there room to discuss, but mroe itneresting with little homework.

·
TL
500 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What they said. You should also cut your filter open, pick out the little orange specs, and decide for yourself. It's a judgment call.

Wear item.

TL

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I am sure there has been unreported heat attacks and strokes from seeing orange pieces in your filter or oil drain pan.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Admittedly, I too got caught up in the chain tensioned hoopla after they nearly grenaded my motor and went gear drive. Until this event I hadn’t spent dime one on motor upgrades in 60k miles and was content to just ride it. After spending a small fortune to rid myself of the cam chain and tensioners and to install several other performance upgrades, I’m no longer so content and spend too much time researching ways to improve things. Now I’m about to spend another small fortune to remedy an oil consumption problem I encountered after installing all the upgrades. If it ain’t broke….

Be careful how far you allow yourself to dive into this one! If you’re not looking to do anything more than resolving a chain tensioner problem, then maybe just having the tensioners inspected and/or replaced will buy you equal piece of mind.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
mlewis said:
Admittedly, I too got caught up in the chain tensioned hoopla after they nearly grenaded my motor and went gear drive. Until this event I hadn’t spent dime one on motor upgrades in 60k miles and was content to just ride it. After spending a small fortune to rid myself of the cam chain and tensioners and to install several other performance upgrades, I’m no longer so content and spend too much time researching ways to improve things. Now I’m about to spend another small fortune to remedy an oil consumption problem I encountered after installing all the upgrades. If it ain’t broke….

Be careful how far you allow yourself to dive into this one! If you’re not looking to do anything more than resolving a chain tensioner problem, then maybe just having the tensioners inspected and/or replaced will buy you equal piece of mind.-2$en#e-
@gree: Well said......

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
I don't see how the chain tensioner issue would have anything to do with anything else.
Good chain tensioners? Great
Bad chain tensioners? Replace with new chain tensioners or gears.
End of story.
There isn't anything else that could improve the issue.
Better oil pump? nothing to do with tensioners
Stronger cam plate? nothing there either

ahh, how'bout....chaps?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I suppose mild cam, 21g has been said to be close to stock and gears would least entrusive. I am looking gears 95" and maybe 37g.

You can inspect periodically too. If you keep up to data fine. Its not the easiest to inspect though. If you put less then 10k a year insppect is probably easiest.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Cut off legs caused by grenading tensioner assemblies have been reported by reliable sources however %[email protected] :beer4u:
That is an unfortunate truth. That is why I recommend billet chaps. Yes, they do make my ass look fat but then, my ass is fat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts